Whistling Disco

My '92 300-series Disco (2.5Tdi) has suddenly come over all musical. At

3000rpm in any gear above 1st, it starts to let out a loud whistle, just like a kettle coming to the boil. I'm getting lots of suggestions, but would be interested to hear if anyone else has come across this phenomena. Is it a leaky turbo? Transmission? It only does it when it's moving, so I can't really hang out of the door and listen carefully to where the noise is coming from. Power delivery is smooth and performance hasn't dropped off at all. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Teacher Mike

"You know when you've been tango'ed - you get kicked in the nuts in the middle of a dance hall."

Reply to
Mike Seaborne

Id start by checking all air + boost hoses, not forgetting the air filter housing etc....

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

Our VM Rangie had whilstling under hard acceleration. It was the turbo bearings. A rebuild sorted that.

Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Many thanks - you were right about the turbo bearings. All sorted now!

Reply to
Mike Seaborne