Toyota Steering Recall

Hi,

Just wondered whether anyone in the group has any experience of having this work done.

I have a Toyota Avensis T2, 5 door, 1.8 Petrol, which was recalled earlier this year.

After having the work done, I've noticed a slight, but annoying vibration on the steering wheel. I can feel the road surface thru the steering wheel. It's as if a rubber damper or connector has been removed from the system.

The garage who did the work, have checked the mechanism, and said that there wasn't anything which would cause this problem.

Recently, I had a test drive in a new Avensis. I found the steering much lighter, and the vibration level much lower.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TIA

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Yours is not the new one. Find out what the recall did. If they replaced a rubber donut link in the column with a solid UJ for example, you'd get the feeling you describe. Likewise if they uprate the bushes.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

True. I don't know how the current model differs from the previous one. The dealer just said it had had a face lift. I have great difficulty in finding out any technical information from my local Toyota dealer. It all seems bright lights and glamorous females :-)

Those were my thoughts, but the technician said that no such components were involved in the modification.

It's very difficult to discuss technical matters with the garage, without a having a detailed layout drawing of the steering system. Are there any web sites where I can find this sort of information?

Here is the official recall notice from the VOSA site - STEERING MAY FAIL

Description : It is possible that the connections at the intermediate shaft and sliding yoke of the steering column may become loose and if the symptoms are ignored steering control can be lost.

Remedial Action :

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the steering intermediate shaft. In addition, inspect the sliding yoke and intermediate shaft extension and replace if necessary. This recall is staggered starting with Prius and Corrolla. Avensis customer letters will be sent out over the next three months

Vehicle Id : SB1#R5#L#0E001005 to SB1#R5#L#0E145507

Has anyone on the news group, had their Toyota steering updated.

Regards

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Fits in with what I was saying about replacing with a more solid link.

Reply to
Conor