Tradetec oil

Tradetec engine oil - is it good?
At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?

I'm wary of using Comma, so I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Tradetec!
--
Steve H

On 13/12/2018 20:20, Steve H wrote:

What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with apparently good results.

For the same reason I don't use Ting-Ton Iddle I Po tyres.
For the difference in price, I'd prefer to use a long established brand. All my cars have an OEM oil spec. from either Shell, Mobil or Selenia.
--
Steve H

Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other things you don't always get better by paying more.
--
*I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.

A high price may just indicate high advertising costs.
I wonder which oil you main dealer or back street garage is using on a regular basis? Who makes the oil branded as "Ford" "Vaxhaul" "Halfords" etc.?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Most manufacturers have an OEM partnership. Ford are Castrol, BMW / Hyundai / Ferrari / Maserati are Shell Helix. (Ducati are also Shell). Not sure on other partnerships, other than Fiat / Alfa and Selenia.
--
Steve H

Selenia are a brand of Petronas these days.
--
DAS

Very true.

Large garages buy oil in bulk. At a very different price you and I do for the odd oil change. But they still charge you the full retail price.
--
*Broken pencils are pointless.*

On 15/12/2018 12:54, Steve H wrote:

"Established as an independent oil blender in 1965, Comma quickly gained an enviable reputation for the quality of its products and service. In the wake of the oil and energy crises of the 1970s and 1980s, the company was acquired in 1989 by Esso Petroleum Company Ltd."

"July 2012, Comma was sold by ExxonMobil to its licensee in South America, Moove Lubrificantes e Especialidades S.A. headquartered in São Paulo, Brazil. With long-range international expansion programmes in place, Moove is vigorously supporting Comma's ambition to be a leading global aftermarket brand wherever its products are sold."
I'd also be wondering what they'd been leaving out to offer a budget oil when they were also retailing Mobil.
--
Steve H

On 15/12/2018 15:39, Steve H wrote:

Is that a problem? Worse than a Malaysian company buying just the 'brand'?

It's a tangled web. Strangely, the company behind Moove have a joint venture with Shell and retail Helix from their forecourts and lubricant bays on service stations.
I'm very wary of licensed branding, though, and it's rife in the industry!
--
Steve H

On 16/12/2018 10:46, Steve H wrote:

Yes, but you didn't seem wary of the 'Selenia' brand.
On 15/12/2018 12:54, Steve H wrote:

If you looked at their ratings, that might provide another reason.

The difference in price is considerable for some oils.
Another consideration with the brand names, or at least about where you get them, is fake oils - and it is hard to imagine a cheaper oil like tradetec being faked.
You may be right about the brand names being better, but on the other hand we are all victims of slick marketing, to at least some extent.
On 13/12/2018 20:20, Steve H wrote:

Does depend on the value of the vehicle, though, and how much oil it burns. For something in its last year or two of life, and that is dying of rust, the engine is not so likely to be limiting.
On 15/12/2018 13:38, newshound wrote:

I kept a car for 17 years and towards the end of its life I just used fully synthetic at around £15 for 4 litres (sold by Home Bargains). As you say the engine wasn't the limiting factor and was still operating well as many smaller items all started to go at the same time. In the end the cost of repairing would have exceeded the value of the car.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 15/12/2018 20:24, alan_m wrote:

Yep, I use fully synth low price where I can find it, thinking it's more important to change max 4000 miles. Plus filter as well. My car is 23 years old, but going strong far from end of its life.