Trapped moisture in car

I have a 1998 Pug 106 that has a moisture issue!

Every morning the sunroof and windscreen (oddly, no other windows) are coated in condensation and lately it's starting to freeze. I've tried wiping it away, but overnight more appears so I suspect there is a fairly major issue. There are a few rust holes in the boot so the car isn't watertight!

Is there anything I can do to prevent this issue occurring? Presently I just deal with it, but I can smell that mouldy/mildewy smell that means I need to sort it out....

Leaving a window slightly open overnight doesn't help.

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Has it got a pollen filter?

Reply to
Lee

Leaving a window completely open around sunset will help, but may not be enough.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

There's water leaking into the car. Check the drain holes in the bottom of the door/drill some new ones. Check the seals, especially the boot. Also, the light clusters.

Reply to
GB

Also look for the drain holes at the bottom of the windscreen under the bonnet. They often get blocked with dead leaves etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

stick a moisture trap in the car

£-land do them. also have you checked the sunroof drains in the corner of the sunroof (front), you will need to pull the roof lining down to get a proper look, but I've seen a few that have rotted where the drain & drain tube meet.

Reply to
reg

Good tips, thanks. The sunroof drains seem OK. Some rust holes in the boot, I guess that's the problem.

Reply to
Mark

My Cougar was doing this. I changed the pollen filter. It stopped doing it.

Reply to
Mike P

I don't think the water is draining upwards through the floor of the boot, but that may indicate that water has sat in the boot for some time. Is the boot carpet wet?

Reply to
GB

I don't think there is one, but will check. I'm ready to be proved wrong!

Reply to
Mark

Yes, and smells failty mouldy. The main source of the mouldy smell however is the rear seat. The base of that got wet sometime and the spongy material inside is exposed underneath, with the obvious consequences. I don't have anywhere I can remove and store it (Tried the kitchen overnight but management wasn't impressed!) so I guess I'll have to deal with it some other way. If I can.

Reply to
Mark

Once you have stopped water coming in, the car will dry out quite quickly - assuming you drive it a reasonable amount with the heater on.

Reply to
GB