moisture on floor under car

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has a similar issue with moisture on the floor under their car? My 67 sits in my garage (no temp/humidity controls), and the floor becomes moist and discolored (rusty colored) along the sides and under the tires. The car, however, is dry as a bone. Is this moisture coming up from the concrete floor, or drawn from the car? The car has not been driven in the rain in months. Is this anything more than a nuisance, or should I be trying to correct it?

thanks

(scratching my head...)

Bob

Reply to
pony67

pony67 opined in news:44adnU9 snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I will hazard a guess that your garage floor is roughly the same elevation, give or take a foot, as the surrounding ground. And/or, the concrete is less than 2 years old.

It doesnt do your car any good. What happens when you sit a cardboard box on the floor for a week?

That's why most garage floors are sealed with epoxy paint.. make sure you clean the skin off if it's fairly new.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

pony67 opined .

oops!

It is probably condensation, the floor temp frequently being below the dew point of the outside air.

The reason paint helps is that it insulates a little but mainly the condensation isnt absorbed by the concrete surface. Concrete will wick some moisture as well but likely condensation is the main problem

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Kitty Litter.... spread where moisture collects... also works for oil leaks etc. I put down a bug sheet of cardboard (like from a washer or dryer, etc) with some KL under it which creats little air gaps, and then spread over it.

That "rusty" color has to be coming from somewhere.... and not likely to be leaching out of the concrete. Sound like you are getting condensation on the underside of the car enough for it to "run" and leave a stain behind as it is wicked away. That could result in some problems with the car over time.

Are you sure you d>Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has a similar issue with moisture on the floor

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Floor is close to ground level, but more than 5+ years old.

Today, most of the moisture was gone. I think its just condensation, and in some cases, its running off the underside and bringing some surface "rust" with it, hence the color. Yesterday was very humid here.

I have wanted to do the epoxy floor coat, but held off so far. Any ideas what a 24X24 would run me, and any suggestions?

Reply to
pony67

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

I keep my Mustang in one side of my barn that has a pretty crappy old concrete floor. Some of the floor is actually below ground level and when it gets hot and humid the concrete gets very damp. I didn't want to spend the money to tear up the concrete and put in a better floor so I just put a plastic tarp over the whole concrete area and that seems to keep the underside of my GT pretty dry.

Dennis

03 black GT
Reply to
Dennis