Tread wear indicators: what do they look like?

Any pics on the web showing tyre tread wear indicators for worn tyres?

Looking at my tyres, I presume the tyre tread markings are at 90 degrees to the main grooves. But I'd like to find some example pics to compare.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

They're usually a different colour to the tyre? Red?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine are el cheapo budget tyres. Probably from China.

It seems I should be looking for a 1.6mm high rubber bar in the groove. When the tyre has worn down to this, the top of the rubber bar and the tyre service will be flush.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I've never seen ones which are different colours to the rest of the tyre before. The ones I've seen are just a small lump in the main grooves at the minimum depth, same colour as the rest of the tyre.

David Hearn

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

What, treadwear indicators? Not that I've ever noticed.

They're just ridges at the bottom of the grooves - sometimes marked with TWI on the sidewall.

Reply to
Guy King

What are you on plowman? :-)

Reply to
adder1969

But you shouldn't be letting the tyres wear down that far anyway, for your own safety. Not less that 2mm really.

My current set of inherited-with-the-car tyres will still have stacks of tread when they are changed, simply because they are just shocking in the wet. Hopefully I can live with them through the summer, but only if it stays mostly dry!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I had a set of Avons like that - honest. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What ever you are on Dave, I want some too. :-) Making the tread wear indicators a different colour would be quite hard to do given the tread profile is extruded. Are you not getting mixed up with the circumferential colour bands applied to the treads to ease identification of tyre sizes ? Because they are applied to the tread before the tyre is put in the mould they can sometimes drop into the tread grooves and can appear by chance to drop in wherever the TWI are around the circumference.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Michelin put a little michelin man on the sidewall to show where they are...

Reply to
Adrian

">>

Professor Prost had the same attitude LoL

Reply to
powerstation

CWatters