Turbocharger Jamming?

The Garrett TC from my 93 Maestro diesel turbo has been off the car for head gasket replacement. Trying to refit the TC I've found the fins/shaft jams when the two halves of the assembly are bolted together, but turn if the TC assembly is split. It is almost as if the presence of a gasket to distance the exhaust side of the assembly from the turbine fins by 1-2 mm would free the exhaust fins, but surely there is no gasket meant to be there? Has anyone come across this weirdo before please? The fins seem to be in good shape. With a winter break in my labours the TC was kept inside the car for the duration, it was working fine upon removal in October. I've managed to find a replacement TC in a scrapper but if this fault is something stupid I could save £40......

BrianJ

Reply to
BJ

BJ let forth with a mighty belch and uttered :

Did you split the turbo?

If so, it is now in need of professional help, or spend £40 in a srp yard.

Reply to
Sean

Not exactly. I removed one side, attached by 2 semicirc plates & four bolts. This exposed the exhaust fins which turn stiffly by hand. If dismantling further could be fatal is that curtains?

BrianJ

Reply to
BJ

From what I know of turbochargers, yes. Never a good idea to do any dismantling on them.

Still, 40 quid from a scrapper is much better than the cost of a refurb.

Reply to
Sean at work

Thanks Peter, this seems to explain why storing the thing inside the car out of use for weeks has left me like this! Regret I soaked it in degreaser overnight, I hope that's not what you mean by "solvent"? It has made the movement smoother. If I fill it with new oil (engine oil?) and run it on the car will this make it worser or betterer? In light of this storage possibly causing the fault, won't a scrapper's turbo be even worse due to no use?

BrianJ

Reply to
BJ

Yup degreaser = solvent. Fill oil inlet with oil, fit and on first starting don't rev it too much, like keep it below 2500 rpm for the first 10 min or at least until the temp gauge starts to rise, then drive gently.

Peter Hill

Thanks very much, I've bolted the two halves together and with a "rough torquing" the shaft is still turning and much improved on a week or two ago. One last (I hope LAST) hitch is what I found a couple of weeks ago when I tried to refit the unit: "fill the inlet with oil". It says this in the book too - half a pint in fact. Trouble is when I dribble oil into the inlet it sits there literally reflecting at me. I turn the shaft to encourage it a bit. At this rate I reckon if I dribble a bit in every hour I'll be done in another couple of days! Better set the alarm for 1 am, 2 am.........is it supposed to seep in so slowly? Can I just dump the unit in a gallon of oil and hope it reaches the right parts? Many thanks for your contributions, obviously the head gasket was the easy bit.

BrianJ

Reply to
BJ

Stop messing around with the oil can! squirt some in as you have done- pop the end of the feed pipe into a jug, disable the fuel pump and crank the motor over until oil squirts out of the pipe. Hook it up, and allow the engine to start at tickover only.

Turbo's aren't *that* sensitive to lack of oil at start up.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l