Tyre fittters!

That was done by the local 4 wheel alignment place after I'd fitted a new rack to the SD1. Still was noticeably out, even although I'd set the wheel correctly using the rack centre finder. They tried again, and got it better but still not perfect.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

On 18/10/2017 11:34, Chris Whelan wrote:

You could have got a set of michelins tyres for less, professionally fitted by Michelin trained techs, nitrogen filled, balanced on a regularly re-calibrated machine, and they not only use a torque wrench, but every thing is double checked by an independent fitter, they all sign the bill to it as well. (Costco)
Though you would need the tracking done elsewhere.
MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but I don't have Costco membership, and there's not one near enough to me to entice me to get one. I also wanted specific Dunlop tyres as the reviewed characteristics fitted my usage.

Not sure how enthusiastic anywhere local to me would be to do that!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 11:34:12 +0100, Chris Whelan

Hmm, 4 x Maxxis AP2 (All season M+S) 195/65/15 95H XL for £212 fitted and balanced?

We are yet to do that (but will) as we have only driven the couple of miles home since.

Not good.

And (partly) why we run Punctureseal in all our vehicles. ;-)

I think that sort of tolerance could be forgiven as I understand it can even vary if the sun was on one side at the time but I guess they should get the actual pressure right, although they also vary, depending on the load / speed and personal preference?
I would generally be happy that they inflated them all to a *sufficient* level and we'll check / set them ourselves to our preferred values anyway (as we don't live far away).

The thing that worries me is how few places understand the red / yellow dot markings and so don't bother with them?
I have also watched a tyre fitted go to jack my Uncles Reliant Robin up under the diff ... till I pointed out how many wheels there were at the front ... and seen them fit asymmetric tyres inside out and directional tyres the wrong way round. ;-(
They jacked a mates van up under the front floor, folded the floor up then denied any responsibility for it. Luckily his dashcam is on 24/7 ...
We have bought second hand vehicles with 3 tyres of one size and one of another and the last came with 4 different makes and tread patens.
Considering tyres are the only contact your vehicle has with the outside world, I generally try to go for something that might offer the best grip in the worst conditions as the rest should be easy to deal with. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:
[...]

These were 195/45/16 Dunlop Sport BluResponse. The price wasn't actually too bad.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 19:11:21 +0100, Chris Whelan

These?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yd68nhmm
4 x 66.60 = £266.40 + 4 x 15 quid fitting and balancing (if you don't buy them from your dealer) = £326.4 (possibly plus tyre disposal, all the latter plus Vat?) so, no, not a lot in it, *especially* if you have to go back for some reason.
I could have done the tyre removal and fitting myself (my mate has a proper machine) but would still need to get them balanced. Plus there is the getting vehicle jacked up and all 4 wheels off at once etc.
I told our local place we could get them for £51 online (plus balancing, worst case, another 20 quid) but said I wouldn't expect them to match that price, just get close enough to make it worth our while. When they came up with £53 a corner (all in), we jumped at it. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

Yep; bear in mind 40 quid was for adjusting the tracking, so the tyres were 320UKP = 80UKP a corner fitted.
I looked at all the options, including having AA Tyres fit them at my home (they don't do tracking), and I was happy with the price I paid, and the quick and friendly service.
I just wish they would get the little things right!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 18/10/2017 21:11, Chris Whelan wrote:

40 notes for twiddling a couple of nuts. No parts needed. I'm in the wrong game.
On 18-Oct-17 10:03 PM, Graham T wrote:

Checking may be free. Usually charge around £10 per twiddle.
So if you have toe at each corner it's £40.
Some cars have camber as well - usually RWD multilink but very few places have the kit to measure that. AKA a spirit level and rule.
On 18/10/2017 22:03, Graham T wrote:

And the price they charge for a cup of tea nowadays. Tea bag, water and a splash of milk - how much could it possibly cost?
:-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Graham T wrote:

Or I'm in the wrong part of the country. ;-)
The machine they used would have needed lots of 40 quid contributions to buy however, and using it to check was free.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 18/10/2017 22:03, Graham T wrote:

Much like the journalists on some consumer TV programs who thought it outrageous that replacing a 10p tap washer cost £60 - conveniently ignoring the plumbers overheads and time (including travelling).
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

My answer usually is if you don't want to pay someone to do a job, DIY. If you are incapable or can't be bothered to shop around, your decision.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

On 19-Oct-17 11:44 AM, alan_m wrote:

£60 for a 1 hour (or part of) call out is quite common. Especially for large plumbing co's, they have a big call center and mangers on £50K+ to pay for as well.
But far too often they are using low grade staff that get the job wrong.
My bother had mixer tap cartridge/valves replaced. The idiot fitted them the wrong way round so the tap handles worked the wrong way and poked forwards over the sink bowls when off instead of being turned parallel back to the wall so they didn't get in the way. Evan at £60/hour couldn't spend 5 min getting the job done right. I had to swap them over next time I went to see him - less than 10min.

And very reasonable it is, too.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 73rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
Peter Hill wrote:
[...]

Every lever tap I have ever seen point forward when off. They come from the factory like that.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 19-Oct-17 9:05 PM, Chris Whelan wrote:

It's a dual lever tap. Tap is shown in the off position. The ceramic valves are under £10 a pair. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
whoo £711.80 when not on offer https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/87406.htm Bet that comes with a big installation tax as well. Like Porsche or Jag tax.
K'in hell £1103. It's got the same £10/pair ceramic valves as the £23 tap from Amazon (ok that is about 1/2 price compared to other suppliers). https://www.inderkitchen.co.uk/kohler-purist-bridge-kitchen-mixer-tap-6336-p.asp
Other dual lever taps have axis horizontal and should point up when off. Again this stops the tap lever being in the way when using the bowl.
https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net/images/141020-UK/800/76221.jpg
If the tap lever pokes out over the bowl fragile stuff like glasses are bound to make to contact at some time and then break.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 22:03:18 +0100, Graham T

A mate took an old Astra Estate into a major tyre place and they offered to check the tracking whilst changing the tyres. They said the tracking needed doing but then found they couldn't release the track rod ends even after waving the oxy torch over them (and melting some stuff).
So he brought it to me (for some reason) and a while later I had both released and sent him back to get the tracking checked and re-set (that they then did for free). ;-)
What always get's me about this sort of thing (along with what Chris was saying in his OP) is this is what they do for a living?? How can an electronics / IT support guy do something the supposed professionals can't?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

I've had a tyre place admit defeat in releasing a track rod end locking nut; I drove home and did it for them. They still charged me the full price for tracking it when I returned, so that was another one off the list.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

I had a place I expected to do a decent job completely muller the tracking on my BM. They wouldn't listen when I told them that the wheels were wider than standard and they'd need to tell the computer or it would throw the maths. No, no, it'll be fine he said.
He got to one of the rears and cranked the toe in as far as possible and then announced something must be bent as it still needed to go in further. It was impossible not to see the wheel was near-as-dammit pointing at the front on the opposite side.
Having persuaded them to try it with the Dunlop laser gauge it improved things a bit but after I learnt to measure it myself with bits of string and a ruler I found it still wasn't right. Adjusted it and it's better than it has been for years. Damn thing runs like a missile and changes direction like a housefly.
--
Scott