Tyre fittters!

Exactly my experience with two cars fitted with them - but some 10 years apart in age. Did wonder if they were better now. And not sure if they work better with a brand new screen.
Of course intermittent are never at the right speed either. ;-) Even when you can vary it.
--
*The statement below is true.

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

Mine are perfect, but yes it has a sensitivity adjustment - though that seems to make no noticeable difference I could detect.

It's odd that both of mine have also a single wipe feature (by moving the stalk). If the rain sensing was perfect this would never be needed? Obviously you have to enable the rain sensing each time you start the engine. But even when you do, it never seems to work perfectly.
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

Yes, if I have left the rain sensing on, I have switch it off then back on again to restore operation, otherwise it does nothing. Mine does have a single wipe facility, but I have never needed it at all. I find the auto works fine, I just turn it on when it rains and forget it. It also auto wipes when I use the screen wash, but I have to use at least a couple of seconds of wash, before the wipe begins, then it does 2 maybe 3 wipes when released.

On a vaguely connected topic, the AUTOSTOP on my 3 plate Focus has given up. It was proving to be a pain anyway when I was a millisecond out of sequence in restarting via clutch & accelerator, and looked like an idiot who had stalled and needed someone to sound their horns to assist.
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Gordon H wrote:
[...]

If you do lots of short trips so the battery isn't getting fully charged, and/or the battery is near end of life, it won't stop/start.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

The rain sensors can occassionally be tripped by something else and can then smear a "dry" screen, so it makes sense to leave it off normally. Use a single wipe if you need it (say for clearing dew before you set off), but switch on the auto function where you would normally use intermittent, normal or full and let it handle changes in the rain, your speed, etc.
SteveW

I wouldn't say perfect, but my VW has ones good enough to convince me they're worthwhile.
On 25/10/2017 17:57, Nick Finnigan wrote:

I've not seen that one. I have had two cars that reduce the wipers from continuous to intermittent when you stop.
SteveW
On 26/10/2017 21:19, Steve Walker wrote:

Possibly it was the intermittent wipe, left at the slowest setting.
Nick Finnigan submitted this idea :

Mine does high speed to slow, or if on slow intermitant when you come to a stop.
On 21-Oct-17 4:01 PM, RJH wrote:

Genuine OEM "NEW" parts are never on an exchange basis.
Only re-con parts are on exchange as the re-con service needs the core back to re-con for the next sale.

Do any car makers supply re-cons these days? Other than for major parts like engines?
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

In the glory days of US radio, Allen Shelton, thought by many to be the greatest 5-string banjo player ever, worked as a tyre fitter. The tyre shop backed onto a building housing a local radio station. Every lunch time the station had a live music show featuring a band with Allen on banjo. In the next county another radio station had a band led by another banjo player, Don Reno. The story goes that each would work up an instrumental and the other would try to top it the next day.
Perhaps some of the people fitting tyres have other gifts as well?
--
Bill

;-)

We can only hope. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

I've seen a 12" Tyre stretched on to a 13" rim Whoaaa.
Also I recently had a wander round my local car auctions and saw loads of cars with cheapo tyres with makes I'd never heard of, a couple with 4 different makes.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 21:27:46 -0000 (UTC), Newsworthy

Quite!

I guess if all you do is run at an average speed of 10mph from your town house to the local supermarket and back once a week, then it probably doesn't matter what mix_n_match combination of tyre makes, models and tread patterns you are running.
If OTOH you regularly travel a resonable number of miles at reasonable speeds and in all conditions, then a decent set of matched / branded tyres would probably be a good idea (for everyone). ;-)
Cheers, T i m