Upgrade to leccy windows?

Is there any gadget on the market for upgrading a manual window winder to electric. I was thinking of some kind of motor device that fits over the splines of the winder to allow operation by switch? Only need one for drivers side as I'm just getting too idle for all this manual up & down stuff.

Reply to
redwood

On the upside, at least it you end up in an accident, God forbid, you'll most likely be able to get a window down to get out. A friend of mine had issues once and was stuck in a car that was on fire, doors got crushed, and leccy windows wouldn't open, as the battery was gubbed. He's okay now just about, but it could've been a lot worse.

As most model of cars are pretty similar, there will probably be a unit you can find off ebay from a spares/breakers yard which can be transplanted from a higher-up model in your car range that you can fit. Have you browsed ebay yet?

Reply to
David R

In news:4fUOg.16209$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, David R wittered on forthwith;

Hammer. Problem solved. You can even buy emergency ones for that very porpoise!

Reply to
Pete M

If you mean something that doesn't require pulling the door card off, I don't think there is. But you can get a "universal fit" kit that you install in the door:

(about two thirds the way down)

Reply to
bweebar

"Pete M" wrote in message news:2MUOg.19983$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

After being trapped 10 years ago in an upside down Rover 416 that was pissing petrol everywhere, I've never been without an emergency hammer in any of my cars

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"redwood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I'm just getting too idle for all this manual up &

Ice-pick, sorted.

Reply to
Tunku

You used to get such devices when electric windows were rare, but the easiest way these days would be to get the bits from a scrap car of the same model which has electric windows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, I will check out the breakers as they do fit electric window regulators on the higher spec. I could also swap the door panel as well which contains the switches. P.S, if anyone finds there windows a bit stiff I can definitely recommend silicon grease spray down the runners. My window was very stiff but a squirt of silicone and now there's hardly any resistance at all.

Reply to
redwood

Yes. Exactly the thing you're looking for exists and I had it fitted on my last Capri Special.

Look in the classic car magazines.

Reply to
Conor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "redwood" saying something like:

You could bugger about and try various leccy winder options from the local scrapyard, but the sure-fire way is to look for a more luxurious version of your pikey box and rob the winders from it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Surely, if the door was crushed, there's a good chance that even a manual winder wouldn't have had the space to wind down?

But I agree about the battery issue.

David Hearn

And useful in so many other ways too ...

Revolution ... Cocktail bar ...

-- Martin

Reply to
Vulpes Argenteus

Doors are designed to stand pretty bad impacts and still open. I'd also say most have more chance of getting out of the passenger's door than through a window.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Equally, they are designed to withstand severe impact and /not/ fly open unannounced.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes - they're designed for both. Of course a severe impact likely to effect either will also likely smash the window making it all rather academic...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)