vauxhall cavalier 1.6 1985

Can anyone advise please regarding a noisey manual gearbox. It started about a month ago and seems very slowly to be getting louder especially with the car in neutral on tickover. If you engage the clutch the noise almost disappears. Is this something I can leave until I am forced to get a new gearbox, ie much too noisey or will the gearbox let me done on the motorway.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

It is very common and may only get a little worse over several years. Make sure it has the right oil in and ignore it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I had this when I had my cavalier - went on for 2 -3 years before I sold car . Mechanic at garage told me it was nothing really to worry about . Thrust bearing on clutch. Probably go until clutch needs replacing

Reply to
Andrew

Does it disappear when you push the clutch pedal down?

If so, it sounds a bit like a clutch thrust bearing rather than the gearbox itself.

Reply to
Richard Murphy

No. It sounds more like more worn gear box bearings. (the shaft stops spinning when the clutch is pressed down) The thrust race is spinning harder and under load when the clutch is pressed down. (therefore is noisier )

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , MrCheerful writes

I used to have one of these (the 1.3) and had a similar problem. It was only a few hours work to change the bearings as you could remove the gearbox cover complete with gear clusters from the near side wheel arch without removing the box itself.

It was a brilliant car to work on. The clutch was a doddle as were the big ends and mains.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks very much for the replies. So I can leave it for a while until it gets too loud and then have it fixed or have a go myself.

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

A friend had a Nova that was the same. Excellent idea, though not enough reason to buy one.

Reply to
Dan Buchan