Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 Diesel

Vectra 2.0 diesel. P=2Ereg

113000 miles

I know this is a well reviewed subject, but this car will not start !! This is what happened:- I used the car as normal all day. no problem, ran as usual. Going out in the evening , it wouldn't start. Ran battery pretty low, so charged it up overnight. Next day Checked for error report with personal tester, no error Suspected relay to glow plugs, so replaced it (=A335:00) still no go. Checked glow plugs, A.O.K. (red hot in seconds) Replaced recently fitted spill off pipes.Still no go. Did second replacement of spill off pipes , in case first attempt was wrong. Still no go. Replaced fuel filter. Still no go. Have checked and cleaned anything that remotely looked like it was connected to the engine Engine turns over, but not the slightest hint of starting. Will run after towing, and restarts when switched off. But an hour or so later, no joy =20 Am going for a lie down now .

Spikenard

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk
113000 miles

I know this is a well reviewed subject, but this car will not start !! This is what happened:- I used the car as normal all day. no problem, ran as usual. Going out in the evening , it wouldn't start. Ran battery pretty low, so charged it up overnight. Next day Checked for error report with personal tester, no error Suspected relay to glow plugs, so replaced it (£35:00) still no go. Checked glow plugs, A.O.K. (red hot in seconds) Replaced recently fitted spill off pipes.Still no go. Did second replacement of spill off pipes , in case first attempt was wrong. Still no go. Replaced fuel filter. Still no go. Have checked and cleaned anything that remotely looked like it was connected to the engine Engine turns over, but not the slightest hint of starting. Will run after towing, and restarts when switched off. But an hour or so later, no joy Am going for a lie down now .

Spikenard

Is it spinning over fast enough? Does it start immediately when towed?

  1. spill pipes
  2. fuel filter seal or housing
  3. air leak somewhere also there can be a fault with injector seals that is common, apparently.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hey that was a fast reply thanks!

Yes it turns over well as normal, and starts after a tow of about 50 yards or so. As I said, I've done the spill off pipes twice , just in case, and a new fuel filter. I've checked the fuel filter housing, and had a general search around for possible leakage, to no avail Yes, i've heard of the injector seals, and it's a bit pricey for a P reg. , I was wondering if there was anything else that it could be. Something simple. It's just odd that it was running absolutely fine, then after being parked up on the drive for a couple of hours it's goosed. Thanks again Spikenard

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

id go along with the injector seals, last few weeks we've done 3 vauxhalls with this problem.

Reply to
reg

since it takes a while to start with a tow, then it is pointing to an air problem.

Have you taken the fuel pickup out and cleaned it up and checked for rubbish in the tank? (it is easy to get to under the back seat)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like injector seals. Easy way to check is run car, stop car and clamp the spill pipe where it returns back into the pump. Let it sit for a few hours, then if it starts you know it's the injector seals. Another way of checking is to take the spill pipes off, and catch any diesel that runs out of them on a bit white rag. If it's a black colour, then it's engine oil, and the seals are leaking. If not, it's most likely something else in the fuel pick-up side (it is known for the fuel filter housing to crack if overtightened - the screw should only be done up by hand using a torx screwdriver until it bottoms out, anymore and you risk cracking the casing).

Whatever you do, don't just plumb the spill pipe into the return pipe to the tank, as if air is getting in, then diesel will be getting out and into the oil.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

will try that in the morning ..............thanks

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

Thanks for the info and method, will be trying that in the morning. Will post if I get a result. Ta

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

What kind of money do they charge for that job? roughly? Parts --=A3? Labour--=A3? Is it a job someone with a minimum amount of skill could perform? Is it special tools? Bearing in mind it is a P reg.would it be worth it ?

Any comments would be helpful,=20

Thanks

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

Any comments would be helpful,

Thanks

it is listed as a 4 hour job, reg will know exactly how much his place charges.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Vectra 2.0 diesel. P.reg 113000 miles Further to my previous posting re:- non starter Success !!!..........Having done all the other things in my previous posting Not the glowplugs Not the glowplug relay Not the injector seals Not the fuel filter seal or housing Not an air leak Not the fuel pick up filter Not the spill off pipes

Just a good old fasioned air lock in the fuel lines after fitting new spill off pipes. How to find out?? Wouldn't start with starter. Wouldn't start after towing, took fuel filter housing cover off........pot empty. Filled pot with diesel, towed for 50 yds, started up, ran for a while, back to normal. Starts on the key. Grateful thanks to all the guys who replied, and for the first class advice, The dog is made up, even in this bad weather, it's his car really. Thanks a million

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

Hurrah, so it was an air problem, just as suspected. You said early on that you had checked the filter housing, surely the lack of contents alerted you to a fault?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk

It's the sequence of events that masked it, I think. My theory is :- When I fitted the fuel filter, the pot was partially full, as they are when you take the old filter out. By this time air had already got into the lines, so when we towed it we just sucked what fuel was in the pot straight out with nothing coming through to replace it. That may not be the answer, but my head is buzzin' with what could have been or might have been. I just wish I knew what I was doing !!!! Anyway thanks for all the support and advice it's been great.

Reply to
keithmitchelson_uk