Volvo 850 T5 p reg

anyone have any theories as to why when the clutch pedal is depressed the brake lights are turned on? should the brake likes work when the brake pedal is depressed and the ignition off?

Reply to
Andrew Lee

someone has crosswired the clutch switch with the brake pedal switch.

Some vehicles have brake lights that work all the time (mainly Japanese) The majority need the ignition on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Do the brake lights work with the brake pedal too? If so it may just be a maladjusted brake switch that turns the brake lights on with the tiniest movement that gets induced by the clutch pedal operation.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Andrew Lee writes

It's actually an automatic and you haven't noticed?

Is the car new to you and does it have cruise control?

Unlikely but something nagging in the back of my mind tells me this is expected on *some* cars.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

quite a few. Probably just a maladjusted switch, but it might be a damaged wire in the pedal box. Welocme to the world of head torches & neck ache. Cheap LED petzl clone headtorches off ebayy aren't worth their weight in gold, but they're still good value for money.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Certainly the 70 series brake lights work with ignition off, i cant remmeber on the 850, since it is several years since we got rid of ours.

The brake lights coming on with the clutch depressed is either a broken pedal box (not common) or the brake switch is mal-adjusted and a slight flex in the pedal box is activating it.

There is no clutch switch on these or the 70 series.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If it's a manual box with cruise, there certainly will be.

Reply to
Adrian

Ahh! You are indeed quite correct, forgot all about that....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Are they trying to cheer it up?