volvo t5 overheating

Hi all just limped home in my 96 Volvo 850 T5.After 2 years of fault free use the temperature guage rose.As an owner of many bangers I immediately put the heater on full blast -temperature guage fell-but-when heater switched off temp rose. Very little-if any coolant lost-no hot coolant smell-fan is operating at its highest speed when parked-oil was changed 4500 miles back-fully synthetic. Sticky thermostat- weeping core plug or head gone!!. All advice gratefully received

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON

Seeing as coolant is obviously circulating the heater, but apparently not the radiator, first port of call would be the thermostat.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Does the radiator get hot? If it's cold its the Sticky thermostat.

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Lawson

Fan switch? Can be easier to change than a stat and caused my Golf to overheat in traffic.

Reply to
Doki

does the radiator get hot? If it's cold its the Sticky thermostat.

Sort of located the problem.Top hose hose clip was rusty at the radiator and the fins of the plastic radiator had traces of wet.Tightened up the top hose clip and went for a spin ran fine until I used the turbo at 4000 revs-temp went up.Got back home and there are tell tale signs of wet on the radiator under the top hose but now starting below the turbo coolant pipe take off I find it difficult to believe the coolant pipe joint is leaking.The top hose is less than a year old-its a Volvo part-but-Ive never been happy with its appropriateness for the job. There is very little coolant loss and the top hose is pretty hot-the radiator is just warm. The thermostat is looking pretty suspect.

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON

We wouldnt expect the gauge to rise above normal whilst driving along though. Stationary yes perhaps.

On the 800/70 series, the gauge is driven by the ECU from a single CTS. The gauge doesnt deviate from mid position unless temp rises very high, inwhich case it goes to the red in two stages.

The cooling fan is also controlled by the ECU and has two speeds. Low at ~105 c and high at ~110deg c.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I ve discovered the radiator is much cooler than the top hose.The hose feels rather empty so I am changing the thermostat tomorrow and replacing the top hose and jubilee clips as a precaution.

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dsr00l$2um$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON