VW Polo (2010) engine oil

Hi,

I've had a Polo 1.2 60BHP from new (now 4 months) and the the oil is at the lower limit of the OK range so I need to top up. Do I need to buy the oil from VW or is there an alternative?

Cheers!

Reply to
Mr X

As it'll still be under warranty, use the VW stuff to cover yourself.

Reply to
John Williamson

Hi,

Are you saying the car has been on the road for 4 months (and you have owned it all the time)?

I would certainly buy from the dealer, even see if they might give a courtesy 1lt of oil. Others will correct me, new engines used to like a bit of oil when brand new but I am not so sure if this is still the case.

Cheers Charles

Reply to
Charles

Yes, I have owned it since new - bought in Dec 2010. Done about 4000 miles. The dealer told me that it may require some oil (he said some cars do and some don't) but didn't provide me with any. As I paid extra for a service plan I might call them and see if they'll provide me with the oil. I remember when my old man bought new cars they did come with oil but I guess service has gone down hill! Cheers!

Reply to
Mr X

Think they use a full synthetic oil. Make sure you get the correct specification oil, from the dealer if necessary, to ensure the type.

Personally I would have the dealer check and top up the levels of the oil for the warranty/service record. These engines have an allowable limit on oil consumption, if its using too much then they have a warranted problem. Its no use saying "I topped up my engine with x amount of oil" they have to see for themselves.

Four months is a short period and to be using oil well!!!! How many miles has it done.

Reply to
Rob
[...]

Some new cars can use a pint every 1,000 miles.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hi,

I've had a Polo 1.2 60BHP from new (now 4 months) and the the oil is at the lower limit of the OK range so I need to top up. Do I need to buy the oil from VW or is there an alternative?

Cheers!

I think don't quote me but the polo uses 10/40 oil ... pop in to gsf or euro car parts for the oil and they will be able to advise as well. Double check with vw or the handbook as well.

Reply to
Matthews_huddersfield

Yes, but what should he put in the car?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Here is the correct answer - from the resident VW/Audi techo, my son.

The Polo has a special running in oil not just ordinary oil.

Up to the first 10-15000kms they can use up to 1lt /1000kms.

Then the oil used is VW 504 00/507 00

Castrol SLX Longlife III 5w-30

Reading this off the 5lt CASTROL bottle which I have here at home.

He also recommends that you see the dealer for your oil requirements as aftermarket don't carry the specific oil.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rob

Chris - See my other reply, a phone call answered all the questions, should have done that in the first place, it satisfied my curiosity as well. :)

Why I questioned the amount was we had a new Pug 2.0lt diesel and that would not stop using oil - 7,5lts in 10,000kms - received a new car under warranty. New replacement car never used oil up till it was changed at 17000kms.

Reply to
Rob

Rob gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Balls they don't.

Adrian

Well there you go so what.

Why didn't you suggest this is the first instance SA

Reply to
Rob

It does, thanks. I thought it was a con by VW and was going to put some stuff from B&Q in! I'll take it into the dealer this week.

Reply to
Mr X