vw golf mk3 gearbox problems, advise needed

My 1.8cl petrol mk3 golf has a major gearbox problem, it began with difficulty engaging 5th when hot and then I lost 5th gear all together on the motorway, a crunching noise and loss of power and 5th gear had disapered altogether, I use the car for work and continued using it the same happened to 4th gear a month later. I now need to repair it, does anybody know what the problem is? As i don't want to buy a gear box unessesarily.

Thanks, Bigcitydefector.

Reply to
bigcitydefector

Start by checking the linkage from the lever to the box.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Then check the engine mounts.

Reply to