VW Polo - faulty clutch?

The car has done 50K and I'm pretty sure it still has the original clutch. The symptoms are, a heavy/sticky clutch pedal action and difficulty finding the gears - it seems to get worse as the car warms up. One important thing to note here is that the clutch does *not* slip at all. It had a new pedal box in 2005 (free of charge - a manufacturing fault) after the clutch pedal mechanism snapped on me. I recently drove a VW van and noticed the clutch action to be considerably lighter than the aforementioned car!

Any thoughts before I hand over the best part of 500 quid?

Cheers

- steve steveevans org

-
Reply to
Steve Evans

Change the cable to start with. I did that on our Lupo and it has made a vast difference, and they're cheap from GSF.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sorry - I forgot to add that the cable has already been changed :)

- steve steveevans org

-
Reply to
Steve Evans

The clutch has had it. They don't fail by slipping very often nowadays, far more often they drag, which is the problem you've got. The diaphragm springs get weak with age/heat and can no longer fully disengage the clutch. This pic-

Shows what happens, they are the old and new covers for a sierra I did many moons ago.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

In that case it's probably knackered.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Excellent, thanks for the information. Now why couldn't a garage have told me that? What the hell is that huge cylinder block on your photobucket page?!

Cheers

- steve steveevans org

-
Reply to
Steve Evans

The message from Steve Evans contains these words:

That's a Wartila-Sulzer marine diesel engine.

Guy King

Had the clutch changed on my Capri when I had a new engine put in. The difference was unbelievable. The old friction plate had plenty of meat in it - the thing causing the heavy pedal was the pressure plate.

Reply to
Conor