Recommendations for Auto Insurance VW

Recommendations for Auto Insurance for a 1966 VW? Also have three cars total, my wife and I and one teenage son, who can not have a car his freshman year of college, but would like to still keep him insured. Think we're paying quite a bit with State Farm, any suggestions for savings on car insurance?

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:25:36 -0700, "Tom Nakashima" scribbled this interesting note:

Not enough information. Who drives what? With what frequency? Is the VW more of a "Sunday Driver"? If so, a company like Grundy might be a good option for just that car.

Insuring the teenager is your money drain, not State Farm (as much as I dislike that company, their auto insurance rates are usually competitive.)

John Willis

I know different states have different insurance laws, but here in FL any family member living in the house with a drivers license is insured for all cars in the household.

For example, my oldest son has had his own vehicle since 16, however since he "might" have to drive one of ours, he is on the family's vehicle policy. Now the rate is based on what vehicle he is the primary driver of, and thank God he just turned 21 and his rate dropped. Ours is with State Farm also.

As far as my VW, I've got liability on it only for about $20 a month.

Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.

Susan, I did research this further by calling State Farm. There is an "Away at School Credit" for college students which saved me $146.oo and a Homeowners Insurance Credit which I saved $56.oo So I just went from $525 to $323. saving $202.oo for 6 months for 3 vehicles.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

Damn Tom...............I'm Jealous. I can't get mine to go away to college. She just wants to lounge around for an eternity...........I'm working on it though.

( about to insure her and another car soon, probably next week as I am to take her for her Drivers license thursday..........this'll be fun huh?)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I know what you mean. Not only am I trying to get my car up and running, I'm helping out the 21 year old to make some decisions on his VW, and have one about to be 15 who is driving me crazy with every "FOR SALE" ad on ebay and Samba.

Ewwwww, just the thought of him behind the wheel scares me !!!!

Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.

I use Geico for my 2 "Every Day Cars" which runs me about $64 a month.

The VW Beetle I get as an antique so it's only $57 per year,.. the company name is J.C. Taylor out of Upper Darby PA. Of course there are limits to how many miles I can drive but all things concidered I think that 2500 miles a year is just fine.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I think once they get off to college or on their own they'll appreciate it.

Don't ever give up on your kids, Muadib! With my first child I made some carless mistakes on parenthood. With my second, I thought I try a different approach to have a good bond with my son, so he could come and talk with me on any subject whether good or bad at anytime. It actually paid off, for there were time he needed to just air things out, I think those time I'll treasure the most.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:20:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com scribbled this interesting note:

Which is the nice thing about Grundy...no mileage limits since they know you'll drive as often as you want, regardless. Bottom line? Two ACVWs (one Thing and one Beetle) at my stated valuations are $120.00 per year (or if you are math challenged, $10.00 per month.)

I've got both cars registered as antiques in Texas (five year registration for about as much as the regular one year) which does carry some useage limitations, but even with a car for occasional use, you need to give it a run every now and again. So what if that coincides with going to the grocery store? Besides, in Texas, that law has a very nice turn of phrase which goes something like this "...and not to be use for regular transportation." Which I don't do. Not regularly...

John Willis

Thank you for the encouragement Tom............I need all of that I can get. She tests me constantly. Mostly by not trying to do anything at all. Like I said before. Lounging and internet writing/chatting are all she does..........Ugh!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Do what my Dad used to do and take away the keyboard :o)

Reply to
Howard Rose

It's a ;aptop.............and it's not mine. Her friend is living with us too. She owns the keyboard/laptop. I own the house and pay for the internet access. I will unplug the phone line starting monday, and lock the box while I'm not home. Then I will lock up all the controllers to the Video Games (in the garage) after a few days, to elimnate that item. Then, I suspect that they will either find jobs, or someone else to screw. I'm not very accepting of the slacker thing. It just doesn't work............for me *or* them.

Thanks for the idea though..................LOL

(GOD>>>>>>>>>>>KIDS ARE TRYING!)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I have found kids at that age are rebellious and they enjoy testing your patients. I think by unplugging the phone lines and locking up the box may make matters worst. I'm not a psychologist by any means or even religious, but what has worked for me is:

  1. Trust - A child has to gain trust in you and of course you have to trust them, eventually it will happen.
  2. Respect - Once a child loses respect in you, it's hard to get it back. You can't force a child to respect you, but you can work with them so they will respect you.
  3. Communication - Talk things out, even compromise if you have to.
  4. Relationship - If you build a good relationship with your kids, you won't regret it.

Muadib, I know it's easier said then done, but the sooner you start, the better it will be. Tonight, take your daughter and her friend out for Pizza, laugh and have a great time. Once a week my son and I have dinner together, just the two of us, I'll tell you, it feels great just to chat. Good Luck!

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

All of the below is good advice. I understand the whole concept. I understand a lot of it applies to most kids. I have been Stupid for most of ten years and let her mother raise her. I't not quite the same as having the kid around for all that time and starting to deal with the "teen meanies". My daughter and her mother had ahuge falling out and Long story short, she moved in with me in February. I had a good thing going with my daughter 'til the "friend" showed up. Now It's as if I don't exist. I have no place in her life now. Before the friend, we were sitting and having conversations every week or so. Almost a blissful situation (took about 6 weeks to ween my daughter off the Antidepressants and other meds) once we got through withdrawal. I agree with alot of the good advice. The one thing I must do is eliminate the "friend" by letting that relationship play out. Then we'll be back to depressed and irritable about everything, and we'll have a starting point...............again. When she lets me in, we have a connection that's really good. But as you know, our kids tend to look outward for support from people who give into their wishes on a whim, without thought to how this is molding the situation. Hence a temporary comfort that feels nice till the situation caves in on them. Then, and only then will I be "trusted" by my daughter, for being there even when the friend is no longer a friend. Have I passed Psych 101?????...........LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I understand now Muadib, I didn't know the full situation you were in with your daughter. It sounds like you have a good plan, just under the circumstances it's hard to execute. I'm sure your daughter will come around someday and to see she does have a good caring father. Best of luck,

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

If my eyes aren;t playing tricks on me, I may have made it to match point!...............earlier today, the friend went out to do some banking. I asked where she got money and was told her mother sent it to her. I told my daughter that I thought it was time for me to have some of that money for rent when the friend returned, and had a heart to heart with my daughter explaining that the Internet access would not be available while I am not home starting next monday. I told her this would be a good time to get an action plan for employment cooking. There will be no acceeptions to the internet access issue. I told her I missed her, and that since her friend has been here, all we have had was heated words, and before, we had conversations. I made her listen by getting between her and the laptop and asserted my thoughts in a (what I considered to be) a caring way. Basically I know she heard what I had to say. how important is another issue. Now that Match point.............It appears (while I type) the friend is loading her car for the trip home. This has not been discussed, but looks to be the case. I am just guessing that. Because as we left to run some errands, the friend came in and they likely had a discussion about my input, which was pretty solid, and the decision was made by the friend to skidaddle back home where she will have the opportunity to soak her parents some more, and then I will only have one parasitic teenager to deal with. Like I said before, there will be depression of sorts, and ther will be attitude toward me. A starting point,.........again. from which I can offer sincere guidance and opportunity and assurance. ( I tell her often, that I care. "that's why I do this stuff" I say)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Parenting is the hardest thing I've ever done in life, makes working on my '66 bug minor. Guess I watched too many Donna Reed, Father Know's Best, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet and Leave it to Beaver shows. Although not realistic, some of that old fashion parenting has rubbed off on me and I extracted what I could use.

I think you and your daughter are on the right track...change is for the better. She'll look to you as to be a good role model for her. good luck,

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:39:09 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

About time.

I'll say it again, you are far more patient than I imagine I would have been...and I have a very good imagination.

John Willis

That's apparent................LOL