Warped discs or worn bushes?

Car vibrates when braking at 70 or above. Vibrates less if brakes are hot. Doesn't do it at all at low speed.

It's a Xantia..

Reply to
Mike P

Sounds like warped discs ... is it possible to check the run out ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Mike P used his keyboard to write :

Try the following, it worked for me and several others (but not a Xantia)....

With car at high speed, press the brakes very hard to reduce speed quickly (as in triggering ABS) down to a crawl then release. Repeat entire process twice more. This is something I read about and for my car it worked. Apparently the theory is that uneven stresses can be set up in the disks, which causes them to warp. The hard braking gets them good and hot, which relieves the stresses and they straighten themselves out.

Worth a try and it costs nought.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:08:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield sang, in the style of Bill Bailey:

I'll give it a go. I know the car has been stood for a while before I bought it - as in a couple of months.. Once the brakes are good and hot, they're ok. It's the first couple of applications, especially after a long motorway journey without using them they are pretty bad..

Reply to
Mike P

Definately worth a try. I've ended up with brake wobble on both of my cars in the last couple of years. Sadly it didn't work for either of them. I discovered some brake neglect that cleaning up pistons and sliders helped. The problem has not re-occurred.

Sometimes the brake run out is bad enough to see by just rotating the disc and looking at the edge of a pad.

Reply to
Douglas Payne