Water in plug well saga...

Well...

We got a used Mk2 Ford Focus 1.6 (100ps) 2.5 weeks ago. First registered Nov 2005, so still under Ford's 3 year warranty (specifically went for this age car for this reason).

Drove it for a full tank without issue, including a long drive to/from Birmingham (I'm in Surrey). The next day (day before Good Friday) it started misfiring and the engine light flashed a bit. I read the fault code and it said misfire cylinder 2. I took a look and all the plugs/leads were in rusty water. Looking online, this is apparently a common issue on this model. Took it to Ford on the Saturday who said you'll need to book it in, so did, earliest was yesterday (31st).

Got a call yesterday saying it was the washer jets leaking into the wells and that they'd need to order some new jets and replace the leads etc. I wasn't sure if they said they would replace the plugs, but I hoped they would as I'd heard bad stories about the water in wells issue causing the plugs to rust and the ceramic core to get fired out! Getting them replaced now would be good I though - but I don't remember them saying they would replace them.

Today, expecting a call to tell me to pick it up, instead I just got a call saying it's going to be a bit longer as they had a problem working on it this morning. Apparently one of the plugs snapped off! He said it was not uncommon and that they needed to get the head off and a contractor is coming in tomorrow to remove the remains of the plug. Then they need to refit the head, replace the timing belt etc.

I'm quite relaxed about all this as, I believe, it's all being done under warranty. In fact, I'm quite pleased! Nothing has been said to me to suggest that I need to pay, no mention of any prices or costs (not for the original work, or for this work) - and in the past, whenever I've put a car in a garage they've always phoned me with the price before proceeding. I assume that this should still be the case - right?

My only concern is that it has been serviced at non-Ford garages in the past (with the 'Ford parts used' box ticked) - but other than that, the mileage/dates are all to spec. Is there any chance that they could turn around and get me to pay for the work? Paying for the jets/plugs/leads is one thing - stripping the head etc is quite another league for costs. As I say - not one mention of cost has been made since I dropped the car off.

I say I'm pleased as if a Ford guy could snap the plug, then I probably would have done it too! And I suspect that, had Ford done it during a normal (out of warranty) annual service, I would be expected to pay for the work, or at least, something towards it. The problem may be related to the leaking jets issue - but he did say it was not uncommon on these cars. If it really is not uncommon, could it happen again in the future (assuming the water in wells issue is fixed, so no more rust/water there).

Finally, is there any issue with removing a cylinder head? Could this be the start of future problems down the line?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

if they are careful, they shouldn't need to remove the head. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That would be the ideal solution - and if they're getting a guy in to do it, I expect he's experienced at this sort of thing. Of course, they may strip the head before he gets there - so we'll have to see.

Can anyone answer my other questions?

If I haven't been given the cost for the work (as I believe it's being done under warranty - it was certainly booked in as such) - nor have they asked my permission to pay for the work (merely informed me that they need to keep it longer to get this done) - are they allowed to later give me a bill for it? I would have expected they would have checked the validity of the warranty proceeding.

And finally - are there any issues with removing and refitting the cylinder head, particularly with longevity of the engine and gasket seals. I would have expected an assembly line manufactured engine to be assembled correctly - some guy in a workshop fitting it back again may not be quite so accurate?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

That depends on whether or not you asked if it was a warramty repair when you checked it in?

It should line up on the same dowels as the factory & as I don't think there's any selective assembly on those that'll be fine (unless they don't do something up etc. But there's a limit to how paranoid it's worth being)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

When I originally booked it in, they asked whether it was a warranty repair, and I said - "I think so" and/or "It should be", mentioning it was less than 3 years old, and I saw WAR entered as the job reference or something on the screen. When I dropped it off I said it was for some warranty work. When I phoned up (after they said about the snapped plug) to ask about a courtesy car, I said it was in for some warranty work, and they asked my name. So far, no one from Ford has suggested otherwise.

Thanks for that - sets my mind at ease a bit. My biggest immediate worry is them asking for money - but I do feel that as there has not been any mention of money yet, nor any request for authorisation (merely statements of what they're doing), I suspect (hope?) I'm just worrying about nothing.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

David,

if you are that worried about money ask the dealership for a definate answer on wether or not it is warranty work now before the bill gets too big. P.S. Get it in writing too; preferably on headed paper. Then if anything goes wrong or they try to charge you you can shove the letter under their noses as proof.

You should have had that clarified first before leaving the car with them.

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Well, I managed to get a courtesy car for the weekend (got to do the weekly shop and visit family) and whilst I was there I asked to confirm whether all the work was being done under warranty. The girl on the desk said (paraphrased): "I don't know exactly what's being done with your car, but one thing I do know is that it's being done under warranty!" So I guess it's probably quite 'famous' within the team - certainly enough for the fact it's a warranty repair to be the memorable bit! Whilst she was getting the keys I also got to see on the screen that it was booked under "WAR".

So I'm reassured on that point.

Just have to see when the "Thread Doctor" actually turns up. He's not turned up for 3 days (despite me being told each day he'd promised to turn up that day). So far it's been in the garage for 5 days.

David Hearn

Well, got it back yesterday (Tuesday). Plug was removed on Monday and then the head was reassembled. Haven't had to pay a penny (apart from a couple of bus fares and in wear to my trainers!). :) Seems to be fine now. I think I'm getting better mpg now (41-42mpg) after a short 25-30 minute run at 70-75mph. I'm pretty sure it was in the mid/late 30's before - but could just be different conditions.

What I found surprising though, is that they only replaced one washer jet (obvious by the rubber seal underneath it). I expected both - but they only did the one above the plugs (drivers side). The passenger side one is still the original. I guess the point is, that they don't mind water leaking onto the battery cover etc - just not into plug wells. Considering the cost of the full repair (1x washer jet, 4x plugs, 4x HT leads, 1x Thread Doctor visit to remove snapped plug, 1x cylinder head removal + refitting kit, + (I hope) 1x timing belt, and a weekend courtesy car - the cost of the 2nd washer jet seems insignificant... it's that kind of scrimping which probably caused the original fault - no seal under the washer jet probably sounded like a good idea at the time!

Anyway, car's back, repaired for free and running fine. All my worries were unfounded. :)

David Hearn