Welding hub studs

I have an old trailer and one of the wheel hub studs has come loose. After removing the hub and welding the stud I could removed the nut and therefore the wheel.

My problem is that I cannot replace the the stud with a new one as the metal is shot around where the stud would fix. I see the other studs have also been welded into place.

However my welding doesn't seem to be able to penetrate the hub metal. I have a 150amp mig welder turned up full but aren't getting good (virtually no) penetration into the hub. I managed to remove the stud by simply welding it so it would not turn against the side of the hub.

Do I just need to take it to someone with a more powerful welder?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I expect you'll find the hub is cast. Using normal mild steel rods on this will not work!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Do I need different welding wire? Or how did the other people weld the other studs?

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
david.cawkwell

=============== The other studs might be brazed. Clean a bit of the welded area and see if it looks like brass.