Series 1 wheel studs

Hi all,

I have just managed to snap one of the studs on the front hub of my 86" series 1 when replacing the wheel.

How easy are these to replace? I noticed the one that came out had been welded at the back by the previous owner and the thread is knackered, so i would guess the thread in the hub might be dodgy too?

I have a couple of series 3 axle assemblies, are these interchangable? I notice the nut spacing for the drive member is the same, so could I use my original S1 drive memebr and the S3 hub or are the bearings different?

Any advice would be apprciated

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony Boyle

I think the replacement ones are the type which have to be hammered in, rather than threaded. This means you have to drill out the thread and fit the new stud to the hole.

The S3 hubs would have bigger studs.

S2A/S3 from 1970 on had Metric wheel nuts/studs with 27mm nuts. S1 and S2 IIRC have BSF studs with 15/16th" nuts.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

They are still interchangeable, despite having different sized studs - you just need to have different nuts for the hub you have changed (I had S3 front and S2 rear hubs for a long time on my 2A)

Reply to
Tom Woods