What a rusty car

Have you ever seen a rustier car for sale than this?

The guy bought it for banger racing but it was even too bad for that! Checked the DVLA website and it has not been on the road since 1990.

Starting price is 50 quid. Are there likely to be any parts on this car worth 50 quid?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Depending on condition, things like the engine and brakes can be fitted to a Morris Minor, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember when a Fiat Strada would look like that within 2 years of manufacture.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

and that was on a well serviced and loved car.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

There used to be worse than that on the roads. I can remember cars with their front wings flapping as they went along, a dealer once tried to sell me a car with no floor on the drivers side - it felt 'rubbery', and when inspected, there was a hole around 8" round, covered by a newspaper that had been coated in underseal. It was very common to see cars with 3 or 4 different coloured panels on them, as the originals had rusted away, and been replaced with donor parts. Lancias would be rust all over at 2 or 3 years old. This is something modern car owners do not have to worry about now, rust is a bygone fault on the vast majority of cars. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I've driven worse.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That's worse than my Triumph 2500TC. ANybody want a rusty but not used f= or =

too long Triumph? NIce wheels.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And they do look like just the sort of parts you'd want to fit, don't they?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ka, Focus.....

Reply to
SteveH

"Paul" wrote

Worth it for any on the driveline parts if one is restoring a Marina I suppose. In fact, if you have a Marina saloon it's probably worth the money for the estate rear springs as Marina saloons were notoriously poorly sprung at the rear.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Nothing like it used to be 25 years or so ago.

That car doesn't look an *awful* lot worse than the Hilmann Imp I had when I passed my test, or the Minis and Cortinas that some of my friends had.

Things have certainly moved on a *long* way. Unfortunately MOT tests have got a lot harder to pass...

Reply to
deadmail

Well, I suppose the consolation is I won't have to worry about my Focus failing the MOT on emissions if it's going to be a pile of iron oxide any day soon...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A failed catalyst is merely a minor hassle compared with the structural rot you'll have to one day fix :-p

Reply to
SteveH

My '99 car has no signs of corrosion problems yet. I intend to keep it until no longer financially viable. I'm guessing that might be another four years or so.

In the unlikely event that a small amount of welding needs doing, I give my stepson a call, he pops round with his welding gear, we have a chat about computers, he goes home.

How much hassle is that?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The hassle is that it will be rotting in the first place. That's totally unacceptable for a modern design, IMHO.

I've yet to hear of a 156 that's started to rot, but there are numerous stories regarding rusty modern Fords.

I've even read of cases of MkIII Mondeos starting to go crusty.

Reply to
SteveH

As I've explained, it wouldn't be a hassle for me.

I've only owned Fords since 1983. (That doesn't mean to say that I wouldn't consider owning another make.) These have ranged from new ones, to 500UKP bangers. Only one of them needed a very small welding repair for an MOT. (A six year old Mk 1 Fiesta; a patch on the inner wing was welded during the MOT for a tenner!) In other respects, repairs and breakdowns have been minimal.

I don't agree that *any* decay is unacceptable. Cars are consumer items with a finite life. That makes them affordable, it makes the manufacture of them economically viable, and it ensures that a reasonably high number of cars on the road meet the latest safety standards.

The aim of all car manufacturers is surely to make everything so they fail together. If the body starts to rot just as the mechanicals are beyond economic repair, they have got it about right.

That's a totally pointless comparison. Firstly, it's likely that most Alfas are sold to people who are enthusiasts and hence take more care of them than the average Ford owner.

Secondly, Ford have a market share in the UK of more than 16%. In 2004, the only year a quick Google produced data for, Alfa's market share was 0.31%. That's just over 8,000 cars, and significantly less than Porsche, Smart and Subaru. I don't know how many 156's have been sold here, but I'm reasonably certain it's less than the number of Mondeos!

Where are these "numerous stories" about rusty modern Fords? I have some links to a local MOT station; I've asked them, and they don't seem to think that there is a particular problem with any Ford model of the last 10 or 15 years.

Since you wrote here about rust problems with the Ka at the bottom of the B post, I've been looking at them in car parks. I've yet to see a rusty one! Perhaps the roads are more salty in your part of the world?

Care to cite some references?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ISTR that the diff and gearbox internals are compatible with the Triumph Herald family. If the ratio's right, the diff could be worth well over

50 quid. Then you've got the door handles - Lotus on the outside and MGB on the inside. And you can sell the front hubs & brakes as Morris Minor disc brake conversion kits.

Our local scrap metal place would pay about 70 quid for the remains.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Oh yes! I bought this Land Rover off eBay for 62 quid a few weeks back:

It was worth it just for the amusement value. Frinstance, see this lovely Volvo instrument panel:
was there just for the clock, which was wired up and working! The engine ran sweet as a nut. I drove the thing down my drive, pulling the wheelie bin just to see the look on my neighbours' faces. The ride was surprisingly comfortable with all the extra springing from the chassis that had broken through in three places.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I've driven worse than that doing cable retrieve (from winch launching) at gliding clubs.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Bollocks you have! The hard top was the only thing holding it together. Once I removed that, it just heaved a sigh and turned to dust.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke