What-ho, chaps

Anyone know anything about the Lucas EPIC diesel system, as fitted in this case to a transit turbo diesel engine.

specifically,

1) what's most likely to cause a intermittent low power/slow response to the throttle pedal being floored.

2) this one hasn't got an intercooler. If I were to fit one, what needs changing? The book mentions that intercooled ones have a temperature sensor on the engine side of the intercooler, rather than the one on the airbox - is this just a case of fitting the former and plugging the wire from the latter to it, or is it another wire? And does the ECU need remapping?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Either the throttle butterfly is sticking shut, or the throttle pot on the pedal is knackered.

The turbo boost is set mechanically via the wastegate actuator- so a bleed valve and or similar to crank it up from facotry 6psi to nearer 10 or so with the i/c added will help enourmously.

The ATS is merely repositioned yes.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

A faulty throttle pot should cause the engine to go into limp home mode, and the EML to come on. I never even knew the turbo's had a butterfly! But then, I only ever sorted electrical faults on them, so never had to look too closely at the mechanics.

***
Reply to
Moray Cuthill

indeed a faulty pot should doas your describe, but not always.

The tranny turbo has a weird and wonderful arrangement of vacuum operated butterflies which help the brake servo and the EGR to work.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 09:26:58 +0100, "Tim.." enlightened us thusly:

I wondered about that. It seems to be behaving again now, so I'll leave it alone. The throttle also has a microswitch on it which detects full throttle position, AFAICS, and pressing that with the engine at idle did indeed put the EML light on.

Brake servo is on a pump driven off the back of the alternator.

The non-turbo one I have here has the butterfly thing you describe which does operate the EGR which is operates by a vacuum generated by the butterfly restricting the inlet. This I disconnected (thereby disabling the EGR) 'cos it spoils the running of the engine. That one runs much nicer without it.

I'm not sure the turbo one has such a gadget, but I might look for it. It certainly doesn't have a mechanically operated butterfly like the non-turbo one.

I'm not a fan of restricting the intake of diesel engines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles