what's the diameter of a vauxhall astra K reg's wheel spanner?

quick question - what's the diameter of a vauxhall astra K reg's wheel spanner?

as I found out when i came to change a flat the other night the wheel/tyre spanner has "become dislocated" :-( So of course I need to get something like a drop forged ring spanner but i need to know what diameter spanner is needed obviously...

cheers for any help :-)

ian

PS the wheel _has_ been changed FYI ;-)

Reply to
Ian Diddams

I think you will find it depends on the year and the wheel type, but there are only two sizes:

17 mm and 19 mm if you are buying a spanner these are often paired together.

I would not recommend a spanner though. A single hex socket and breaker bar are the correct tools for undoing and a torque wrench for doing them up.

Most car places also sell a purpose designed wheel undoing kit consisting of single hex reversible sockets in all the likely sizes with an extendible breaker bar, all in a bag for the boot, these are a very useful addition to any toolkit. The bar is extended to undo and shortened to do up (unless you are very weak the short size will do up adequately tightly) Approximate cost is 10 pounds, so an absolute bargain as well.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you want to replace the orginal, have a look in your nearest breakers. Jacks and wheelbraces are often left in cars when they're scrapped. Price circa £1. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ruler? I'm not being sarcastic, that's what I would do.

Reply to
Malc

well I've done that before and got it wrong somehow! (not on wheel nuts admittedly!)

ian

Reply to
didds

Nuts are 17mm or 19mm as stated. Aldi have a marvellous wheel nut wrench- extendable handle, reversible socket for whatever size, chrome vanadium and all for £2.49. German manufacture. How do they do it? DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The message from "davek" contains these words:

I'm surprised it's German - it may have all sorts of German approvals stamped all over it - Aldi are a German firm, but most of their stuff is imported from the Far East.

Reply to
Guy King