What's the law regarding side lights?

You may not have difficulty seeing it, but most people would assume it was stationary, it's more common to see a car with no lights on than sidelights nowadays.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Except that they sometimes burn out...and are sometimes replaced upside down!

Reply to
Art

The older London taxis seem to have dipped headlights that are dimmer than those of most other cars. Made with London conditions in mind?

Reply to
Art

Well you better get all those cars with single reverse and fog lights reported to the police then.

Reply to
ThePunisher

It's also legal to do the same with a car.

Reply to
David Taylor

That's still legal.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, and?

As it seems you can't be bothered to check in the HWC link I posted, I will tell you.

You MUST

  • use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph) * use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201). * ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night. Laws RVLR regs 24 & 25 & RV(R&L)R reg 19

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Its also legal to ride a motorcycle without lights fitted as long as you ride only in the day light

Reply to
Steve Robinson

I often use sidelights only in darkening hours (not very dark) but i agree, headlights are not a problem if they are adjusted correctly. The only time its ever an issue, i find, is when youre in a very narrow situation and the immediate brightness of the headlight obscures youre vision of the sideline of the vehicle, making it hard to judge their width. In situations such as that I just stop, its safer.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Same with a car IIRC.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Only on cars with dimdip headlights, which where only fitted for a couple of years.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Lofty. ( snipped-for-privacy@bemertonNOBUL.freeserve.co.ukINVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

DimDip. Legal requirement to be fitted to new cars in the UK between about '87 and '93ish.

It doesn't need to work, and is usually best ripped out.

Reply to
Adrian