wheel nut torque

The Haynes manual for this particular car I've been working on states that the road wheel nuts should be done up to 45ft/lb. This struck me as far too low. So I've done 'em up to 75ft/lb instead. After all, the wallahs down at National or ATS probably go even higher than that with their rattle guns. But seriously, 45ft/lb?? Can that possibly be correct?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Dunno. What do the manufacturers specify?

It seems low compared to others listed on this site but as you?ve not given make/model/year you?ve rather limited the advice anyone can offer. I wouldn?t trust a third party manual for accurate information though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

45 lb/ft is standard for many older cars, any higher torque can deform the wheel nut location in the wheel itself and can lead to the wheel becoming loose and tearing off completely.
Reply to
MrCheerful

With the greatest of respects to Mr Cheerful: On a Mk 1/2/3 Cortina, Hillman Hunter, Nissan Bluebird, Talbot Samba, Nissan Micra and many more sheds, I just tightened up the nuts until it felt right. I still have the wheel brace which cost me a quid 46 years ago. A lot of money was a quid in them days.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

That's what I've done in essence.

Yes, amazingly one pound bought 8 pints of bitter in 1972. Now it costs about 8 quid just for 2 f****ng pints! No wonder so many pubs are closing.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Newton metres? Urgh!! Might as well be in Chinese.

Very wise. Yes, I should have mentioned the car in question this time is a '66 Mk X Jag.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yip! And oddly enough the wheels did not fall off.

30p a pint of lager in the rough end of the Number 3 posh pub in Blackpool, this in maybe 1978. This was a very posh pub! The amount of pubs closing down is tragic. Tennants/owners have lost their homes.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The standard wheel brace, used sensibly, will do the nuts up just fine, but over doing it or under doing it, can certainly be dangerous. Modern alloy wheel nuts are done up to levels of torque that would wreck the old steel wheels and snap studs.

Many people do not have any mechanical feel, and for them it is important that they have a foolproof way of doing the nuts/studs up to the correct tension, and checking them after a week or so.

Reply to
MrCheerful

If you used the supplied wheelbrace, doing them up as tight as possible may well be near enough, as they are vastly over engineered.

Once you use something that provides more than that leverage comes the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you not find a genuine Jag manual? Or ask the owners club if they have that data?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought he said it would do 155mph, is he going to get it dropped out of the back of a C130?

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've got the factory manuals for the SI-III XJ6 which followed on from the Mk10. Wheel nut torque is given there as 45 ft.lb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You might enjoy this rebuild then. (Slotting a V12 into a Mk10). It?s in 10 parts but I?m sure you?ll find the rest easily enough. Sadly seems to be lacking the final ?firing up? one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm surprised it's aerodynamic enough to have so high a terminal velocity :)

Reply to
Robin

Well it would definitely be nose heavy, and the shape is quite swoopy, so it might get there. I would pay a tenner to watch the experiment live.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Seems that I must be gifted with that feel. However, I can remember taking the cylinder head off a Ford Zephyr 6 and shearing the bolt off in the block when I put it back. Using a small hammer, a small screwdiver and two trembling hands the bolt came out.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

That's the V12 which had a service interval of 3000 miles, and needed it because the three twin choke carbs went far enough out of adjustment in that time to wreck the performance?

(Mate of mine was a Sales Rep when the XJS came out, "Salesman of the month" was given one for the month. he took me out for a spin in it when the service was due in 500 miles).

Reply to
newshound

Used to go to college with a guy that worked for Pirelli in Burton. They had a V12 XJS on the test fleet, he said they were forever complaining about it only running on 8. Even on 8 it still did 120 something on the nearby test track between Burton and Derby.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Um, no, I don?t think so. It looks to have 2x6 branch manifolds and fuel injection although I grant you it?s not easy to see.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Pretty well all the V12s you'll pick up easily will be the later EFI version. Not that many carbs ones made.

It's one of those engines which is better on paper than in practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)