wheel nut torque

The Haynes manual for this particular car I've been working on states that the road wheel nuts should be done up to 45ft/lb. This struck me as
far too low. So I've done 'em up to 75ft/lb instead. After all, the wallahs down at National or ATS probably go even higher than that with their rattle guns. But seriously, 45ft/lb?? Can that possibly be correct?

Dunno. What do the manufacturers specify?
https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/1080706/71cfb5154e939befc74980e98145e9a3/download-torque-settings-data.pdf
It seems low compared to others listed on this site but as you’ve not given make/model/year you’ve rather limited the advice anyone can offer. I wouldn’t trust a third party manual for accurate information though.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 07/01/2018 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

45 lb/ft is standard for many older cars, any higher torque can deform the wheel nut location in the wheel itself and can lead to the wheel becoming loose and tearing off completely.
MrCheerful wrote:

With the greatest of respects to Mr Cheerful: On a Mk 1/2/3 Cortina, Hillman Hunter, Nissan Bluebird, Talbot Samba, Nissan Micra and many more sheds, I just tightened up the nuts until it felt right. I still have the wheel brace which cost me a quid 46 years ago. A lot of money was a quid in them days.
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 20:57:54 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

That's what I've done in essence.

Yes, amazingly one pound bought 8 pints of bitter in 1972. Now it costs about 8 quid just for 2 fucking pints! No wonder so many pubs are closing.
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Yip! And oddly enough the wheels did not fall off.

30p a pint of lager in the rough end of the Number 3 posh pub in Blackpool, this in maybe 1978. This was a very posh pub! The amount of pubs closing down is tragic. Tennants/owners have lost their homes.
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:15:30 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

Even as a non-smoker I couldn't help noticing that when that ban came in (which I was not in favour of) pubs just seemed to lose their soul. They're clean nowadays - but sterile.
On 13/01/2018 00:22, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Isn't it as much a change in drinking habits? Only two of my locals maintain a steady trade through the week, and that is from regulars. Four others within walking distance have been closed and re-opened regularly over the past few years, in spite of apparently having reasonable sized estates around them which provided steady trade once upon a time.

Yes - lots and lots said the reason they didn't use pubs was the smoky atmosphere. But when smoking was banned, didn't replace those customers who did smoke, and no longer wanted to feel unwelcome.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 11:38:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Exactly.

I could not stand the smoke in pubs, and stopped using them because of the smoke long before the smoking ban, I just never went back.

Yes. That seemed par for the course. People wanting something banned which didn't effect them.
There was no earthly reason why a pub couldn't choose to be a smoker's one or smoke free. They are not an essential place like say a railway station or other public building.
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

I did not foresee or expect that smoking would ever be banned in pubs. In retrospect, part of the problem is the change over to central heating, when I was young, every pub had an open fire which caused a good number of air changes per hour, I also think that the change of tobacco additives caused the fumes to become more acrid, that, coupled with the stagnant atmosphere caused pubs to just fill with eye watering stench. After a short while in there you needed a shower and to wash all your clothes, I did not think the costs were worth the results.
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:00:05 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

I don't think the English pubs have ever been half as bad as the bars in France and Germany (in any given year). Even as recently as 2011 I *had* to leave a bar in relatively clean Hannover because I could neither see nor breathe for cigarette smoke. And further East in places like Leipzig in Saxony it was even worse... unbelievable.

You need to visit an old public bar first thing in the morning to be put off drinking too.
Used to film in several. Obviously, cheaper to do before they opened. And the smell of stale beer from the carpet quite turned your stomach.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:17:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

The nearest I have got to that was when a mate and I were running a sound system though the bar / restaurant for a family member. We could only work when the place was closed and whilst you could smell you were in a pub type place when you went in first thing, it wasn't a 'spit and sawdust' place either.
However (and I know we have discussed this before), I really can't remember the last time I had to deal with the perfectly predictable side effect of passive drinking on my clothes or electronic equipment. And I'm not talking about spillage here, I'm talking about after just having my clothes or the equipment in the same room as one person drinking?

I guess we all have our triggers ... it's just that ITRW, I personally (and may people I know) have been blighted by having to endure (with little in the way of recourse, short of missing out) being passive smokers, not passive drinkers, or passive curry eaters or passive candyflossers etc.
I could never understand the logic of how someone who wasn't doing something that impacted anyone else had less rights than someone who was (as anyone gently asking a smoker to refrain (say, till you had finished your meal) would soon find out).
Smokers were like cats ... it seems that they weren't expected to behave with any social responsibility and there *was* little the rest of us could do about it. Now we *can* keep them out of our gardens and social spaces (if only that was the case with cats ...). ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:26:13 +0000, MrCheerful

Funny how the smell of these things can me masked when in their environments.

IMHO, *that* is the only example anyone should need to stop / ban smoking. ;-)

Result. When we have cleaned such stuff down when you have had to lift it off with a cloth, the colour of the water afterwards ... ;-(

+1 for plastic wood veneer. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

But did he only charge half price for doing half the job?
--
*I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.*

He was on contract to a shop, the callout was a guarantee job (might even have been a rental TV back then)

Ah - right. Happy to take his pay to do half a job. ;-)
No wonder people have seen sense and no longer rent TVs.
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid