Re: New Wheeler Dealers

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?
--
Steve H

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me, was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.
On 07/01/2018 09:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I think that in the later, American, version of the program they started to mention something along the lines of: "...nd 45 hours of labour" at the end as well.

*bangs head against wall*
Am I the only person who 'got' the whole fecking concept?
Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of fettling you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would sometimes say 'you can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be done it would cost up to £400'.
--
Steve H

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs are included.

They fix then up to make a TV programme. Not the other way round.
--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit of a hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like pulling teeth trying to explain this to people.
--
Steve H

It depends if I'm doing it because it amuses me and I'm enjoying myself. In which case I don't cost my time at all. OTOH, if something is a PITA, I cost it at my consultancy rate from when I was working.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 7th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 16:26:55 +0000, Huge wrote:

You had a job once? Amazing!
Steve H brought next idea :

Well, I fix my things up for my own benefit and use, often for the entertainment and learning value. The object is never to resell them because there would (usually) be no profit in doing that, once my labour is taken into account. At the end of the shows, they cost everything up, then call the difference between buying + parts and selling, the profit margin. They never mention the very expensive cost of labour.
They make it not appear to be a hobby, but rather a commercial enterprise - an expert operating in an expensive well equipped workshop working long hours on a project.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The unmentioned overheads, going to USA to buy a car, hotels, car hire, meals, bringing the car back etc, etc and a lot of etc were reasons why I took the show with a pinch of salt. But it was a SHOW. If anybody is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

Steve H wrote:

It was not very often that Edd said this.

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 16:36:09 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Actually, he does, in most episodes.
Chris wrote:

No he doesn't.
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:05:51 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Yes he does. I admit I've only seen a dozen or so episodes in total but in the ones going out on Quest at the moment he does.
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 19:02:43 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Pity I missed it. It's the only horror film I've ever seen that genuinely creeped me out. And Carpenter's They Live was amazing for other reasons.
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Just looked at They Live. I was not impressed. But, never mind.
This was good, Dr Loomis is talking about Peter Hucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzy-1j8vLDk

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 22:50:53 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Never heard of either of them. What's the context/relevance?

Mr Pounder can't do relevance.
--
Some "chinese english" instructions for an automatic light switch, needless to say I did not attempt to follow them during the installation....

The surface design is facility, comely but not losing generosity, it will not have accidented feeling after installation.
On 07/01/2018 18:05, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

'OH YES HE DOES!'

Site Timeline