Re: New Wheeler Dealers

Poor old Mike. Not much else he CAN do, but Ed China can fix cars and I

> guess he has a damn well equipped workshop by now.

You do know that he was already a very well known mechanic BEFORE he appeared on Wheeler Dealers, don't you?

Reply to
Steve H

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

I found Mike to be a tremendously annoying little cockney wide boy. Edd came across as the very down to earth capable one. What did annoy me, was that the fixing up costs at the end, were completely unrealistic. No labour costs were included, any outsourced work was often at bargain basement rates and the parts were just so easy to source.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think that in the later, American, version of the program they started to mention something along the lines of: "...nd 45 hours of labour" at the end as well.

Reply to
JoeJoe

*bangs head against wall*

Am I the only person who 'got' the whole fecking concept?

Labour wasn't included because it was a show about the kind of fettling you could potentially do at home. Hence why Edd would sometimes say 'you can do this at home, but if you paid for it to be done it would cost up to £400'.

Reply to
Steve H

I would have assumed so, yes. As the series progressed his workshop got better abnd better kit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a 'reality' show.

Not how to fix up cars and make a profit.

Compare 'Fantom works' with 'overhaulin'. Fantomworks actially really fixed cars on a budget. 'Overhaulin' was unlimited budget with a hot chick presenter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm guessing it was the show's workshop, as he was constructing motorised sofas and bathtubs way before WD came along.

Reply to
Steve H

Steve H wrote on 07/01/2018 :

They fixed them up to sell them on, pointless unless ALL of the costs are included.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They fix then up to make a TV programme. Not the other way round.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

£2000 for a blowover? I really am out of touch.
Reply to
Graham T

If you start out with perfect bodywork and merely want to change the colour using a cheap paint, 2000 quid might do it. But of course would have a limited life before the edges start fraying.

But if you want something approaching original on an older car, you can multiply that a few times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I really liked the programme and Edd; you got a lot of information about problems with certain cars, problems which would get ordinary people stumped. E.g. the accelerator problem on the Masarati with almost build in failure after certain miles, and would cost a fortune to fix unless well connected as Edd.

Reply to
johannes

A bloke near me got his Bristol 411 *totally* re-painted to a very high standard; it was a brilliant job they'd made of it. But it did cost him

10k.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Edd obviously knows how to use the Internet. Because that's how I usually find people to fix stuff like that. There is no special insider knowledge required!

Reply to
Steve H

So how do you value YOUR time if tinkering with something as a bit of a hobby? That was the whole point of the bloody show! It's like pulling teeth trying to explain this to people.

Reply to
Steve H

Anstead is an ex-copper, apparently. He must have thrown that career in bloody early or else he got sacked. Now he's re-invented himself as a car expert. There are some unaccountable holes in his CV. Anyone know a bit more?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It depends if I'm doing it because it amuses me and I'm enjoying myself. In which case I don't cost my time at all. OTOH, if something is a PITA, I cost it at my consultancy rate from when I was working.

Reply to
Huge

Steve H brought next idea :

Well, I fix my things up for my own benefit and use, often for the entertainment and learning value. The object is never to resell them because there would (usually) be no profit in doing that, once my labour is taken into account. At the end of the shows, they cost everything up, then call the difference between buying + parts and selling, the profit margin. They never mention the very expensive cost of labour.

They make it not appear to be a hobby, but rather a commercial enterprise - an expert operating in an expensive well equipped workshop working long hours on a project.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It was not very often that Edd said this.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The unmentioned overheads, going to USA to buy a car, hotels, car hire, meals, bringing the car back etc, etc and a lot of etc were reasons why I took the show with a pinch of salt. But it was a SHOW. If anybody is interested:

Mr Pounder Esquire