wheel nut torque

Not surprised really. Always seemed to me that a GT car which couldn't get to the Riviera and back without a service was on to a loser.

Reply to
newshound

Different motor, Mr. C. I have a lot of classic cars passing through my hands; some I keep; some I sell on straight away and others I just evaluate for people.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think a MkX would just about make it to 120mph on a good day with a tail wind, but I haven't looked it up anywhere. Performance was not their strong suit (but silent, floaty opulence most surely was).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, I saw that and IMV it's butchery. There ought to be a law against it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think you're getting mixed up here. The earlier E-type (and 420G) used a straight six lump with triple SU carbs.

I don't think there were *any* carb versions, Dave. AFAIK it's been Lucas fuel injection right from the off.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Even as a non-smoker I couldn't help noticing that when that ban came in (which I was not in favour of) pubs just seemed to lose their soul. They're clean nowadays - but sterile.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Isn't it as much a change in drinking habits? Only two of my locals maintain a steady trade through the week, and that is from regulars. Four others within walking distance have been closed and re-opened regularly over the past few years, in spite of apparently having reasonable sized estates around them which provided steady trade once upon a time.

Reply to
newshound

Great description!

Reply to
newshound

No, I'm sure the original twelve cylinder XJS had three twin choke carbs (Weber or Solex?). Can't remember the layout now.

Reply to
newshound

You need to read up on the history. No production E-Type had EFI. Series III XJ6 did. So both early XJ6 V12 and E-Type were carbs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - lots and lots said the reason they didn't use pubs was the smoky atmosphere. But when smoking was banned, didn't replace those customers who did smoke, and no longer wanted to feel unwelcome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, you're talking about pre-production *prototypes* made from '73 to the official launch 3.5 years later. They used Federal-spec V12 engines with Zenith-Stromberg carbs for road and track-testing purposes. No production vehicles were made with carbs so far as I've been able to tell.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Exactly.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not talking about those, Dave. Just the XJ-S.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I could not stand the smoke in pubs, and stopped using them because of the smoke long before the smoking ban, I just never went back.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The E-Type I remember had 4 Solex Stromberg (SU type of carb)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. My post referred to the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. That seemed par for the course. People wanting something banned which didn't effect them.

There was no earthly reason why a pub couldn't choose to be a smoker's one or smoke free. They are not an essential place like say a railway station or other public building.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Theres a firm called Jagutek up this way could mail/phone Kevin there and ask and if he doesn't know then no one will;!..

tony sayer

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with the four exhaust pipes?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom