Wheels and Tyres

Hi

I need some advice regarding Wheels and tyres I have a Vectra Estate with sports suspension and alloy Wheels 225 45 ZR

18 Never did like the bumpy ride so am thinking of changing the wheels and tyres to hopefully get a softer ride

How far down should I go would 17 inch wheels do the trick or do I need to go down to 16

Thanks

Ralph

Reply to
R Richardson

This is a wind up right? You really think changing the wheel and tyre size is going to make the ride appreciably better?

Here's a clue. The thing you need to be changing is mentioned between the words "Vectra Estate with" and "and alloy wheels" on the second line of your post.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yes. And make sure to let the tyres down to about 10psi and you should have a nice soft ride.

Reply to
Mark W

IN MESSAGE , Dave Baker WRITES

Thanks Dave

For the condescending reply I came on here for advice, if I wanted a smart arse I could have gone down the pub and asked the local car bore knowall

Anyway I did find an answer elsewhere on the Internet Here is an extract from a road test

"However, our model was fitted with optional 19-inch alloys, which create some tyre roar on motorways and take the edge off comfort. We reckon the standard 17-inch wheels would offer a truly cosseting ride. Nevertheless, the XF is a fantastic all-rounder ? and we?ve no doubt it will be a huge hit"

Heres some clues Dave On the next line

Rolling Radius Aspect Ratio Wheel Size

Must say its much too technical for me Should really leave it to you experts

.
Reply to
R Richardson

IN MESSAGE , Mark W WRITES

Oh our aching ribs , thats really funny Mark W The wife and I couldn't stop laughing Wonderfully Witty

By the way whats the "W" stand for?

Reply to
R Richardson

16 inch wheels with normal tyres might help a bit but the sports suspension is the main issue.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

Thus spake R Richardson ( snipped-for-privacy@nildram.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

*An* answer, yes, but I would bet not the right answer.

I think Dave was correct. Your sports suspension wasn't put there for comfort. Have you tried a Vectra with 'normal' suspension? I'm pretty sure that would provide your answer.

Reply to
A.Clews

IN MESSAGE , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk WRITES

Hi

Cant afford or go to the trouble of changing the suspension All I am after is improvement in an extremely harsh ride On these wheels/tyres 5psi either way does make a big difference

I will just have to get em changed to find out

Reply to
R Richardson

You do know what the difference between the "normal" suspension and the "sports" suspension is, don't you?

I expect increased sidewall size will improve ride comfort somewhat. I can guarantee softer suspension will improve it much, much more.

Reply to
David Taylor

R Richardson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Change the car for one that actually meets your requirements?

Reply to
Adrian

Uprated springs and shockers?

So do I now and thats all I am after

Of course it will but I dont want to go that far

Anyway thanks to all who submitted a civil response

Reply to
R Richardson

Dave, you generally know your stuff, but you're wrong here. I swapped from

65 profile tyres on 14" wheels to 50 profiles on 15" wheels on my MK2 Golf, and it made a very noticeable difference to the ride quality. IMO buying a set of (generally cheaper) alloys and tyres and flogging the bigger (and generally expensive) set seems like a good idea. Ask anyone who knows much about suspension and they'll tell you that the tyre and wheel combination makes a massive difference to the wheel rate.
Reply to
Doki

And before anyone starts chuntering about sports suspension, this is on a GTI. I suspect the difference between standard and sports suspension is very little on something like a Vectra...

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, it certainly WILL make a difference, but...

Quite the opposite - I'd suspect it's substantial.

Reply to
Adrian

Probably 20mm lower and 10% stiffer. I doubt it's huge.

Reply to
Doki

IN MESSAGE , Doki WRITES

Doki

This is the description of the Vauxhall sport suspension pack for my car

Four uprated springs and shock absorbers which lower the ride height by up to 30mm (depending on model) and give a firmer, sporty ride. Front axle weight up to 1060kg. Estate models only.

So I dont think you are far out

Reply to
R Richardson

You know, you drop up here and ask a question that you think you know the answer to, then get all shirky when we tell you that you're a moppet for half-assing it.

Change the wheels and tyres, the difference won't be all that much.

Reply to
DervMan

IMO swapping the aspect ratio of the tyres does make a noticeable difference. Whether it's enough to keep you happy or not is another matter - I'd sell the car and buy another rather than try to go to a non-sports spring / damper setup. However, if you keep your current wheels and tyres, buy a full set off ebay of smaller wheels and try them, you can always sell them on again if there isn't much difference.

Reply to
Doki

To make a noticeable difference you need to get 55 profile or higher, have a play with this link and try a few sizes.

Fred

IN MESSAGE , Fred

Reply to
R Richardson