Alternate size wheels 1994 940 sedan

Hi posters, The wheels on my 1994 940 4 door, are distorted and will not take balancing, planning on getting a new set, aftermarket i think. Any suggestions as to the desirability of going to a larger size? will a 16" or 17" rim size be ok as far as handling, braking etc.? Thanks. Pedro I.

Reply to
proaire

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Very useful link...thanks a lot. Pedro San Juan Puerto Rico

Reply to
proaire

By larger size I assume you are keeping the overall tire diameter the same but just increasong wheel diameter and reducing sidewall height.

Yes, I've had to replace wheels on a couple of cars after 300,000 miles. When that constant vibration is gone it feels like a new car again! Well...almost...

In addition to the very helpful link that Boris provided you might also check with Volvo to see what size wheels are recommended by the factory for your car. A much wider tire could create clearance issues when in a tight turn. Also realize that a lower profile will mean less shock absorption by the the tires and a rougher ride.

If the original size tires gave adequate traction and handling you may want to stay with that size. Chances are you will have a greater selection of tires to choose from than if you go to a less common size.

Reply to
Roadie

begin 666 Tire size calculator.url M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO

Reply to
John Robertson

Boris, Thanks for you help, Volvo wheels are a very scarce lot, correct wheels go for over $200-400 each Pep Boys carry 3 types of wheels that fit....its some sort of universal fitments that have 9 mounting holes for different applications

4 or 5 lugs i guess. Best of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!US$320.00 a set of four 15" wheels, delivered. You can not beat that Pedro
Reply to
proaire

I don't think I'd use wheels that came from Pep Boys, you tend to get what you pay for. Also I've never seen any aftermarket wheels that I thought looked presentable on a Volvo. The 16" Hydras are not too hard to find and will bolt right on. You'd be wise to take them to a wheel shop and have them checked and straightened if necessary before putting new rubber on them.

Reply to
James Sweet

That is excellent advice. I would expect that Pep Boys wheels would lose their finish and tend to get knocked out of line quickly.

Reply to
Roadie

You can also try for sale section in