05 MATRIX XR WHINE

New whine between 40 & 60, probably above that too but due to road noise it is not that noticeable, when you let off the throttle it stops immediately, accelerate and it starts up again. Same if the A/C is on or off. 25 K, A/T. Any thoughts before I have time to take it by the dealer.

Reply to
Charlie

Could be many things such as an alternator bearing, serpentine belt idler/tensioner pulley bearing, serpentine belt, power steering pump, transmission input or output bearings, water pump bearing, wheel bearing, CV bearings, and I'm sure many other possibilities others will mention. Noises are hard to diagnose on the NG.

Some important issues in tracking down the problem is to determine if the noise is associated with engine rpm, or vehicle speed. Turning or traveling straight ahead. Drive train under load or not.

Reply to
user

Dealer claims it is normal engine noise coming into the cab due to no boot around the steering column that apparently was removed and not replaced by my body shop after I was broadsided a few months ago. Part has been ordered and we will see if that cures all. Unknown why I haven't noticed it before. Thanks

Reply to
Charlie