Who is responsible for the cost

I had to have a new front exhaust fitted to my Nissan Primera for the MOT. I supplied the pipe and got the garage to fit it. When I picked up the car I was told that they couldn't get the oxygen sensor out of the old pipe so they put in a new one. I have just got the bill and it shows that the sensor was 68.86 +vat. Do you think I have some negotiation room over that price as the old sensor was working fine and it wasn't my fault they couldn't remove it, or do I just grin and bear it.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Is it _their_ fault that your old sensor was corroded absolutely solid into your old exhaust?

If not, why should they have to foot the bill for it?

If you think they should have tried harder or longer to remove it, how much extra labour would you have preferred to pay for, in order for them to continue to attempt to remove the old one?

What would your reaction have been if, purely coincidentally, that old one failed in a month or two's time?

Sometimes, you have to accept that a job escalates.

Reply to
Adrian

you are just lucky it was quite a cheap sensor, and only the one.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Lie back, grin and bear it, and think of England...

Reply to
The Revd

You grin and bear it.

I would not expect an o2 sensor to unscrew without taking the threads with it after being in place for afew yrs.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim