Who remembers their 2.8i Capris?

Yes

Yes :-)

You seem to be there allready.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, you need a compressor and an adaptor lead, which you could fabricate, the proper article is probably only about a tenner, I think mine came from a MAC tools van

Reply to
Mrcheerful

he only needs a 10mm socket for the covers and a feeler gauge set plus whatever the size is for the adjuster, not expensive stuff at all

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cool!

So, before we re-invent the wheel, any tips on making such please?

Take old plug, smash the ceramic out and braze on an airline tail / PCL fitting?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, I can't see that being an issue then and he has the compressor already. ;-)

Do you need a gauge on there or is it just an ears thing?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, I know, and he has re-equipped himself with quite a few new tools in any case (Snap_on_alike tool chests filled with 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2" sq drive stuff etc), it's just the more exotic stuff he hasn't got round to yet and didn't want to if it's just a matter of collecting it from his ex the next time he's that way.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No need for a gauge, if everything is perfect then you should only hear a faint hiss as air gets through the piston ring gaps and into the oily areas of the engine, if an inlet is leaking then you will hear it at the throttle valve, exhaust at the tailpipe, simple as that really. It is a very good diagnostic on any engine with a problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Gotcha.

Thanks, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Was either on its way to or back from Whitewebbs Classic Ford show in Enfield.

6th picture down..
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Aye, that's the one. It was coming back from - about 4pm, heading W round Jn 19.

Reply to
Adrian

Mine came in a kit

Easy way is buy a compression tester & bodge it

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ok, will pass that on and he can decide (thanks).

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I know it's now the fashion to do a leak down test, but I've never had a car with good and even compression figures which didn't run properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have been using leak down test for over twenty years, so scarcely fashion.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm not against it in any way - but a compression gauge is an easier way for most amateurs. Same as lots of things a garage may routinely use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect the biggest change is compressed air is now ubiquitous & the same adapter lets you change valve seals wthout removing the head.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it's a rich hunt, leaking cold start injectors were always a favourite...

tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Ok, more things for his check list thanks.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably not, well not specifically anyway. These things tend to be vehicle manufacturer specific.

I think K-jet is a simple, (as far as the basic system is concerned) durable system with good longevity. What I have noted over the years is that people's attempts at fault fixing by chucking new things on in the hope that you'll get lucky rarely works. A little trouble shooting is normally required, the trouble is that unless you have a basic grasp of how the system operates (control pressures etc etc) then you are shooting in the dark. This is where buying the book that I recommended would really pay off.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian