Why do batteries fail more in winter?

I would have thought that batteries are more likely to "fail" due to being a) left discharged, b) incorrectly sized for the application, c) subject to vibration, with c) being the big killer.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well over half of all SLI batteries go from sulphation if I remember correctly. Most of the rest fail due to plate shorts which is due to the vibration that you mention shaking the paste out of the grids. Heat evaporates electrolyte causing sulphation, and also overheats the plates causing flexing and material shedding, and even direct shorting so heat kills them both ways....:-)

Reply to
Chris Street

Twice in the last two years I've had batteries that were fine all summer die the day after the first big frost... they would hold charge for a short time after a jump start and long run, but a few days later wouldn't start the car again.

One's sat outside in the kerb decoration now if you want to double check it...

Reply to
PC Paul