Why not two-stroke cars?

What the leathers or the burnt 2S oil? Prefer the scent of 'R' myself.

Peter Hill

You are right there, I remember my Dad putting in an engine out of a ford Corsair, it had a V4 engine.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Also powered Motor Torpedo Boats.

Peter Hill

Having blurry eyed memories now of getting the twatting thing to fire when it was cold, then it filling our garden, and the surrounding square mile with thick white smoke :) God i loved it :)

Reply to
Dan405

Two stroke bikes make a lovely and unforgettable smell...

Reply to
Dan405

The smell was always behind you anyway, unless you started it in the garage in which case you got gassed. ;-)

I meant having a bike as an excuse to wear leather trousers.

I couldn't fault it when you were out and holding onto each gear, screaming down the road like a demented wasp. :-) I'll never be a fast biker at all but that feeling you get on a bike doesn't match anything else when you open the throttle and you have to gasp to take a breath.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

And as far as they go, RS 125 was a GOOD choice, 33bhp from those 0.125 litres :) My mate had a derestricted one with a shiny special end can, pulled to somewhere round 110mph on the speedo, crazy little machine :)

Reply to
Dan405

The Saab used the German Ford V4 which was different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

But with direct fuel injection this wouldn't matter? Think a supercharged injection engine might be interesting - after all, air is free.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

stroke

as

oil from

these are

There's no need. Ventilate the crankcase in the same way as a

4stroke, and use a separate crankshaft driven pump to force air into the cylinder, in the same way as a supercharger. Fit an exhaust driven turbo, or use the crankcase pressure to drive a pump. Crankcase air in the combustion chamber, is not an essential requirement for a 2 stroke engine to work. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Of course then you start losing the essential simplicity and low cost of the design while retaining the scavenging etc problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Oh, stop dithering! Look, let's try something different. All these bends are going to offer an advantage to someone who knows them, so we need a road that's pretty straight. We also need one that offers the chance to go at the maximum speed under UK law. Finally, there needs to be a factor that will give an equal chance to both of you. Let me think on it for a moment...... Hmmmmmm...... Aha! Got it! How about the M23 on the evening before a bank holiday in summer? First person to 5mph wins. :-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

And they kept at it, perfecting it, when everyone else went along the road to in-line four-strand washing lines... Er, I think I may have got a little confused here...

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

Can I take it you missed the Holden on Top Gear this week?

Peter Hill

I think you mean marine, rather than aero....

Reply to
John Kenyon

As diesel is an oil do you have to mix it with oil at all? Or perhaps a lesser amount?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

The what? I saw some sort of red streak across my TV screen, but I thought there might be something wrong with it... ;-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

I remember seeing something on tv a few years ago about a new type of engine ford were developing. It was being tested in fiestas in australia.

The engine was of a three cylinder two stroke design, super duper fuel efficient with an oil tank under the bonnet which was filled by the garage at the normal service interval. ALSO. The engine was made of plastic.

Maybe a search on the web will find it???

I remember the engine looked green in appearance, maybe just dye in the plastic??

Coming to a ka near you.

-- Regards SDD

Warning: Email reply address is a spamtrap, remove teeth to reply directly !!!!

Reply to
Ahgowonwidya

NSR 125 would be acceptable :) I used to love that, when you were pootling, flat out, screaming the nuts of your 50cc, and if it had had some work, and you were on a downhill, seeing about 40-50mph on the speedo :) And then a gang of bikers on proper bikes went the other way, and they all nodded :) Or when filtering, and you were trying your hardest not to hold anyone up, risking life and limb just impress the guys on big bikes :)

Reply to
Dan405

The 1949 saab 92 used a DKW derived motor (arguably the first transverse fwd installation) and saab squeezed over 80 horses their little 3-cylinder cars in rallying... They even made a curious beast nicknamed 'the monster' with a pair of transversely mounted 3-cyl motors producing 140hp!

Switched to a V4 (from the German Taunus) in 1967 to meet emission regs...

Reply to
chris