window chip

Earlier tonight a stone hit my window and made a small crack.

Its a 89 Orion ghia. what would it cost to fix?

Thanks

Reply to
Michael

a new heated screen is about a hundred and twenty , a plain screen is about

60 quid

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Free under your insurance? Phone them up and find out, it shouldn't affect your no claims.

Reply to
Kav

Apart from what others have said, where is the crack and how big is it?

Reply to
Malc

About a inch and 2-3 above drivers position

Reply to
Michael

I had one fitted to my corsa the other week £98inc VAT for the Plain Glass £124 if I would like a tint...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Definitely needs replacing at least by the next MOT.

Reply to
Malc

yes, but a corsa screen is glued in, an old Orion is a rubber jobbie and is very much cheaper.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Or maybe not.

My last car went through 2 MOTs at different stations with a very visible stone chip about 1 inch above the driver eye position. Chip was about 1/2 inch in all including cracks.

I expected it to fail but thought I'd chance it (much like I thought I'd chance driving round for two years with a bloody great chip in my line of vision), it didn't fail and was still there when I sold the car.

Still.. wouldn't have cost much to fix.

Reply to
Kav

As you say it probably deepends on the MOTer. I thought (but I may be wrong) that there was some sort of rule about where cracks and chips were. Something about drivers line of sight IIRC.

Reply to
Malc

in front of the driver, centred on the wheel and 18 inches across there should be no damage larger than 10mm, rest of the screen 40mm in the swept wiper area (from memory)

Reply to
mrcheerful