Windscreen sealer

What's the black non setting gunge the pros use when fitting a windscreen with rubber surround? Goes between the rubber and body?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tigerseal

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Maybe try a dab of Anusol ?

Reply to
Anusol Man

Excellent. A motor factor who also does car paint etc should stock it? Any idea of cost?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

First hit on the big G;

Lean on your local motorfactors to get a bit more reasonable.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

or just bath sealant from b n q.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Tigerseal is not the non setting gunge that you want, tigerseal is a 'setting' polyurethane sealer and adhesive!

the stuff you want is called , oddly, windscreen sealer as opposed to the windscreen adhesive used to bond modern glass, have a look thru the yellow pages for a local independant windscreen company or try a decent motor factor

Reply to
radar

Neil - Usenet ( snipped-for-privacy@SPAMblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No. No, no, no.

Ordinary domestic silicon sealant has a lovely habit of eating acidic byproducts as it cures, eating through the steel very effectively.

Reply to
Adrian

Except Tigerseal's a seam sealant. I know, because I use the stuff. It definately sets, and it's not designed for windscreen fitting.

Reply to
Doki

Missed the non setting bit, its not designed for a lot of things ;-). but if you need to agressively bond something its got a lot to commend it

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

& if you ring round for a bit it's one of those jobs that the bloke who does it for a living turns out to be really good value for money (the only other ones I've found are plasterers & farmers)
Reply to
Duncan Wood

You can get non setting windscreen mastic from I imagine pretty much any decent motor factors.

Reply to
adder1969

Having tried the two local large ones, no. I was offered a silicone based stuff, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3m windscreen sealant. type 08509

Duncan Wood

dont know about that, but it has been used many times on varied cars and ages, and never was there a corrosion issue, infact it stopped a bit that was already present on one motor.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

That seems to be the stuff - thanks. And lots of other goodies too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alternatively, Arbomast. I got mine from Charles Pugh at Pinxton.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

alt.romance.artificial.enhanced is thataway --->

HTH, HAND.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Thanks. Never read that group. I take it it's good? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)