Landcruiser windscreen

Does anyone know if the windscreen in a Toyota Landcruiser is bonded or not?

Reply to
The O n e

What do you mean by "bonded?"

The windscreen is a glass and plastic laminate and is held in place with a urethane adhesive.

Reply to
Ray O

Depends on the year - I think everything past 1990 is. I know the old FJ-40, FJ-50, FJ-60 and FJ-62 series cars are gasket mounted.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Depends on which model and age of Land Cruiser.

Just had my '98 100 series windscreen replaced and it is held by adhesive. If you have no prominent rubber surround to the edge of the glass, yours is also bonded.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Good point! I forgot about those!

Reply to
Ray O

Since the Toyota service helpline states that "the windscreen is an integral part of the vehicle structure and provides strength and rigidity to the body." Therefore a newly installed windscreen in a series 80 1991/1992 Landcruiser, which has NOT used the recommended adhesive or bond of any sort has compromised the structure and strength of the vehicle.

Can anyone confirm that this is not the correct procedure for fitting a new windscreen in this model. Also should it be possible to push the windscreen out of its seating area about half an inch or so clear of the surrounding bodywork it should be flush to, thus letting in moisture to rust the paintwork.

Reply to
The O n e

The service helpline probably refers to current models. It is a long time since I owned an 80 series but I seem to remember through the for of time that it had an old-fashioned windscreen held be a rubber surround. This type of screen is not held in place by adhesive. As to you pushing the screen out letting moisture in, there is an answer; don't push it out;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

surrounding

The service helpline refers to all models, and they state it must be bonded.

Surely a vehicle of this type shouldn't have a loosely fitting windscreen?

Not according to every service manual about. They all state that a bonding adhesive is to be used in replacement windows, this it true of another Landcruiser series 80 owned by a friend, the windscreen is tightly bonded in, unlike mine you cannot push the windscreen clear of the surrounding frame with ease. The loosely fitted windscreen and the soft rubber surround is causing moisture to seep into the cavities and stay thus rusting the screen surround, incidently this was happening before I noticed how easily the screen could be moved with minimal force.

Surely an off road capable vehicle of this type it would be essential to have a proper fitted windscreen which is waterproof and rigid to the vehicles body, or as other people have said "it could pop out if taking it offroad."

Reply to
The O n e

I have had very many off-road vehicles and adhesive bonding has only been commonly used since the mid 90's. All my Range Rover classics, early Discovery, Shogun/Pajero, Land Rovers etc had rubber gasket mounted screens. Adhesive mounted screens were used in Isuzu Trooper from 93 on and later versions of all the above models apart from the LR Defender which continues with a rubber mount. If you should have a bonded screen, you will NOT have a full rubber surround but you may have hard plastic trim fitted to close the gaps between certain areas of the glass and body, especially at the top where it meets the roof. If you have a screen that should be bonded but has not been, it would simply not stay in place and would rattle and fall about because it does not have a close fitting rubber gasket/surround fixing. An adhesive fixed screen needs a rigid body which is further strengthened by the screen itself. Earlier 4x4 bodies were far more flexible with chassis that twisted in work. These needed flexibly mounted screens to allow movement without stressing the glass.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"If you have a screen that should be bonded but has not been, it would simply not stay in place and would rattle and fall about because it does not have a close fitting rubber gasket/surround fixing."

Does this include having a rubber which retains water underneth its lip causing a severe rust problem since its fitting? And should the rubber leak causing wet carpets?, and should the windscreen be able to physically push out up to half an inch clear of the surrounding bodywork with minimal fingertip force.

Reply to
The O n e

Usually no but I think water does get behind these rubbers by design. It certainly gets behind bonded screens by design. Remember that your car is around 15 years old and will not last forever without treating developing rust.

And should the rubber leak

No.

and should the windscreen be able to physically push

No.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The reason for the rust is that the company who removed and reinstalled the new windscreen caused a cut line into the metal on removal, this was not treated and subsequently has caused severe rusting over a year or so. There is no way that a normal amount of water could penetrate a normally tough paint job. I have compared this prevailing rust to other Landcruisers and as expected the others do not have any rust in these location and the windscreen is bonded tightly into place.

Thankyou for your time.

Reply to
The O n e

The only place to actually compare like vehicles is out in the physical world unless you use photos. Usenet is limited in this regard.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I know a few photos would probably get my point acrosss more strongly.

Reply to
The O n e