Windscreen washers?

This report (from the Sun) is almost surreal. Any ideas as to the truth behind this one. Can we now expect squads of police checking our tyre pressures and oil levels, or is there something I'm missing here?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

windscreen washer.But as for turning up on your doorstep and doing what they did it's unbelievable, it's a joke really. A few months back my elderly neighbour reported someone trying to break in to her house,the police turned up over 2 hours later, I guess they must have been on important jobs checking washer bottles.I wonder if they have set up special units to deal with this hideous crime?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

OK, OTT but I had a car fail MOT for a loose battery - it could slide in the tray. As for the washers, that would also fail MOT I believe. Mine are never empty (fill them when the computer starts nagging me) but the wifes Zafira has a stupidly small reservoir and is often empty.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yep I fine that too with the Fiat Stilo & Punto - 6 front washer jets and a small bottle HELLO FIAT!!! pls fit a bloody dam the next time as i'm fed up filling the bloody things up!

lol

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

Weekly check..oil, water, tyres, WASHER BOTTLE, lights.

Reply to
Conor Turton

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

I think you'll find that battery security is specifically mentioned as a testable item in the MOT manual.

Reply to
Guy King

In winter, even with a 5 litre bottle (Mondeo), if there's a lot of salty spray around, and I'm doing a fair mileage, a week is too infrequent - I've got to fill up every day or so!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Especially when the connector comes lose and for every squirt of the washers, 3/4 of the fluid goes all over the driver's side tyre :-(

Reply to
Neil Barker

Yes, it is true. I've just seen the victim talking about it on the BBC news.

The police do on occasions check cars for road-worthiness, but I do wonder why they picked on this driver. It can happen that if you upset a neighbour they can phone up the police anonymously and "tip them off" that you have, for example, made illegal modifications to your car.

Reply to
DP

I think that you're spot on here. Some nosy neighbour has probably made a complaint. It's a disgrace that the police don't respond as quickly to a report of a burglary. I fully realise that empty washer reservoirs and also low tyre pressures (etc) are illegal, but surely wouldn't a simple warning be sufficient? Having said that, how often do you check your washer bottle - I suspect only when it's empty. How often do you check your tyre pressures? The truth is that that the vast majority of motorists don't really give a damn about safety, judging by those who drive too close, exceed speed limits and overtake on approches to roundabouts. The latter I just don't understand - are they just trying to prove they've got better brakes or what?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

I believe he's done something to annoy someone. Checking over a parked car and finding virtually bugger all when there are far more serious motoring offences (Let alone all the other things we would rather the police got on with) is plain stupidity.

Reply to
Malc

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) wrote: : OK, OTT but I had a car fail MOT for a loose battery - it could slide in the : tray. As for the washers, that would also fail MOT I believe. Mine are never : empty (fill them when the computer starts nagging me) but the wifes Zafira : has a stupidly small reservoir and is often empty.

It was a loose battery connection not a loose battery (BBC). Blair.

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

The bloke was interviewed in GMTV. Apparently the washers still had some residual water in them (They squirted OK) but the Police deemed them to be empty.

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

At least it goes outside - on my parents Mondeo, spraying the rear screen results in the water coming out of the roof lining, landing in just the right place to run down the back of your neck! Not a pleasant surprise when you're driving. But it'll *just about* manage a trickle of water onto the rear screen.

Cheers

David P

Reply to
David Precious

Onr thing if in a roadside check in winter ( a warbing perhaps), quite another if it's parked.

Reminds me of a story from a colleague a few yaers ago. He had an old car on his dads drive with a duff engine. Aranged for a breaker to collect it - who couldn't get up the drive. So young David pushed it onto the road outside his house thinking "it's OK, it's taxed", breaker did not come to collect it.

That night -

Screech of brakes and godawful crash - stolen car has his hard enough to push it down the road, car then buggers off. Police arrive, - they are the ones who identify culorit as stolen car - young David gets dressed (it the middle of the night remember - they take all HIS details.

Then bokk him for having an uninsured car on the road!. Even a letter from the breakers yard, and proof that the engine was simply gone didn't prevent his prosecution.

Reply to
R. Murphy