Xantia 2.0 hdi speeds up when braking !

My Xantia has an intermittant problem. Sometimes, at low speed , when I start to brake the engine seems to race and the car starts to speed up. Very disconcerting ! Problem goes away the instant the brake is released and then I can brake normally.

Heard of this before ????

Reply to
doc518

I get that sometimes on small cars, I have large feet and catch the edge of the accellerator pedal ! Some vehicles have a noticeable kick when the air con compressor comes in. Since yours is intermittent I expect you will have to let it develop (as my neighbour says)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

doc518 presented the following explanation :

Not that particular car, but ECU controlled cars tend to be programmed to speed up their tickover a bit, whenever the car is moving - could that explain it?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield explained on 03/02/2010 :

I just had another thought - Idle Air Control Valve sticking open.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is it possible that there is a fault with the brake servo than upon breaking it allows air into the vacuum line, thereby increasing the engine speed?

Reply to
AlanD