Ignition switch replacemet

I am having sporadic problems with the ignition switch on my 1990 Miata (wiper, A/C blower won't work unless I jiggle the key in the ignition). Has anyone replaced the ignition switch and if so, how hard is it?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian

It is a pretty easy job except that the ignition switch assembly is held on with two self-shearing bolts for security. When you get the plastic parts off of the steering column area, you will see two cone-shaped bolt heads securing the assembly.

These will need to be notched to take a screwdriver before they can be removed, I used a dremel tool and a couple of cutting wheels.

Assuming that you have a new assembly, it will come with two new bolts that you tighten until the heads tear off. When I did the replacement, I put a used assembly in, so I had to re-use the screws that I had notched. They have held securely and nobody has stolen the car yet. :-)

HTH,

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Clark Friedrichs

Thanks, Pat.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Anthony

This car has never had anything but an alarm remote on the key chain; so, I doubt that a heavy keyring caused the problem.

Reply to
Brian

That was kind of a weird assumption being made that you had used a heavy keyring. Are you the original owner? Who knows what the PO did if you are not.

In any case, iirc, the car is a 1990 model. 16+ years is plenty of time for an ignition switch to go bad even if you had used only the ignition key and cross-drilled it to cut down on the key weight. ;-)

Finally, even though I also use a lightweight keyring for the ignition, the switch that I replaced was from a 1991 model with 120,000+ miles. It had a heavy keyring dangling from it for most of the time it was driven and it still lasted over 14 years. I think that the switch damage caused by a *somewhat* heavy keyring is overrated.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I am not the original owner; but, I bought it from the original owner who is a member of our club, Bluebonnet Miata Club. He tells me that he never had other keys on the keyring. I agree with you about 16+ years taking its toll, even without a heavy keyring.

Reply to
Brian

Too ricey--slotted is the way to go. Crossdrilling is more appropriate for brake lines:

Who would confess to having one that was more than "somewhat" heavy? (You should see my wife's; in addition to 27 keys, there's a silver dollar hanging from it. I don't know why she needs 27 keys, since there are only 3 locks in the entire household. She does keep her Miata key on a much smaller ring.)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I defer to your greater experience, knowledge and wisdom regarding women, especially spouses, but I have to ask, did you slip up and ask SWMBO why she needs 27 keys and a silver dollar on the keyring? That would be tragic and could lead to other similar questions regarding shoes and the like. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Wisdom? Regarding women?! Might as well search for unicorns, or $39.95 superchargers. Ain't no. All men can do is hope their best efforts are appreciated occasionally.

You jest, sir--last I checked, I still had a pulse. Despite the theoretical impossibility of wisdom, I do possess a modicum of self-preservatory instinct, honed over 35 years of connubial bliss.

I would poke out my own eyes first. Then cut my throat.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hmm, I don't know - I've got a 2000+ pound car attached to my keyring and it works just fine.

Sorry, just had to do that. ;-D We had this conversation about a week or so ago on our club forum and received exactly that response from a member.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva