1996 and obd mystery

Took my Miata to a gas station for Texas inspection (past due, getting nervous). The car is a '96 (actually, 96 1/2 according to the radio/cd player that's in it). All the orginal paperwork says its a '96.

Three mechanics couldn't find the OBD II connector they said was supposed to be under the dash near the driver's right knee. There is a connector labeled "diagnostics" under the hood on the driver's side. They said that was a different connector and that I had to take the car to a place with a dynamometer. I bought it new and no one ever moved or removed anything as far as I know.

I will take it back to the place that's been doing my inspections for years without a problem. I think I would remember them using a dynamometer, but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Berger

FWIW, my '96 is the same as yours... nothing under the dash, "diagnostics" on driver side near clutch MC.

miker

Reply to
miker

Weird. If you check the newsgroup for past discussions of this, everyone says OBD II came in with the 96 model year.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I did google up one reference to some model-year 96 card that were manufactured in 1995 that didn't have obdii. I suppose that explains it.

Reply to
Frank Berger

yeah, it should be there. its normal location is at the bottom edge of the dash but the drivers right knee (north american, steering wheel on left version). i have read that they break loose and so people push them up on top of the radio or into the rats nest of wires under the dash by the steering column. have you popped off the plate under the steering column and looked around for it? it should be in there.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

"but the drivers right knee" should read "by the drivers right knee".

Reply to
Christopher Muto

If the 96 is OBDII, the underhood connector can be used (with the proper mating connector) by OBDII testing equipment. The OBDII digital data lines, ground, and maybe (don't remember) +12vdc are present on the OBDII underhood connector. An early 96 might be OBD1 There may be a sticker on the door post showing the SN, Trim Level, and date of build. I have a 99 model actually built in Dec 98, according to the sticker. The 99 is turbocharged, and I hesitate to think what the testing facility might say. (even with a "CARB" sticker) Fortunately, (Knock on Wood) we don't have to do such things here. There has been periodic talk of extending the mandatory testing areas to our locale, but, so far, nothing has come of it.

Reply to
Chuck

I had my car inspected this afternoon at the same place I've been going for years. Basically, its wink, wink, nod, nod and they pretend that it's a 95 and put it on the dyno. They can't find an OBD II connecter either. They said I should get a note from a Mazda dealer testifying that it doesn't have OBD II in case I ever need to take it someplace else. Not sure I get that. I'll just tell them its a '95.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Chuck, where are you located? What country? Sorry, I should know but I guess I don't pay that much attention. I'm confused by your sentence;

The 99 is turbocharged, and I hesitate to think what the testing facility might say.

Maybe you're just trying to say that your 99 is turbocharged, help me out here.

Speaking of turbo Miatas, what year / years was the turbo available in Australia, anybody remember? It was a predecessor to the MSM in the states.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

i think you should call mazda usa customer service and see what they have to say about it...

1-800-222-5500 6am-4:45pm pt m-f.
Reply to
Christopher Muto

Good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Berger

"What country?" Some natives like to still think that Georgia is part of the CSA, not the USA, but that was settled quite a few years back, well before my time. One of my great grandmothers was a young child at the time of that debacle, and lived across the street (in a northern state capitol ) from a tall skinny lawyer that was famous for a tall top hat and a beard. Somewhere in one of the family lock boxes is a ticket to the man's funeral. I have a framed key hanging on the wall that unlocked the doors to the old state capitol building that was in use back then.

Since we are not in the Atlanta smog zone, there is no mandated EM testing in my locale, although there are a few approved testing facilities that survive by doing "tuneups". My 99 is A/M turbo'd. If you were to look at the Mazda 99-00 promo and auto show pictures, you might find a "look alike" Red LS Turbo in some of the pictures. Mazda had several Miata prototypes and Japan only concept Miata models that were turbo'd and never released for production. The 99 in my garage has stock internals, ~9.5-10 psi boost, 220HP at rear wheels. I'd love to put in a LS-x V8, and caddy differential. Unfortunately, the stock market is not co-operating. 300-500 HP (depending on which LS engine is used) at moderate RPM is a new ball game.

Reply to
Chuck

[...]

Sorry, news server burped, did not accept the first try, then when I tried later, it took both the first try and the replacement.

Reply to
Chuck

Wow, I'm still confused, what's the A/M stand for ? And are you saying your car is a 'prototype'?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo