2000 626

I know this is a Miata group, but there is no general for Mazda.

My wife drives a 2000 626 and I was wondering if there is a light that illuminates the gears by the shifter?

I drove it the other day and noticed that there is no way to see what gear you are in when it is dark and she can not remember if there was one.

Reply to
sfjh

Look on the dash board to see if it is up there. That is where our 2002 Honda has it.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Is it an automatic? If so, there should be a light under the panel by the shifter (in most cases) and/or a set of indicators in the dash console, like Bruce said.

If it's a stick...well, part of learning stick is learning to know what gear you're in. If you can't remember, you should be able to feel by position.

Another trick, if it *is* an auto and *doesn't* have any indicator...

Try this in your driveway with the foot on the brake...see where in the shift pattern you can shift to and from without pressing the button. In most cars these spots are: R to N N to Do Do to N D3 to Do D2 to D3 and L to D2.

Translate those gears as necessary...but you get the idea. This means, among other things, that if you back out of a parking spot, you can get going quickly just by throwing the shifter back...no need to stop, look at the shifter, push the button, and carefully place the car in gear. But, if you're lost on gear in the dark, you can try pushing the shifter around to get a better idea...usually this forgetfullness will happen on the highway or in other situations where being in neutral for a moment won't hurt you...but I don't take responsibility if you guys end up rolling backwards down a hill!

Hope I could help :)

Cheers,

-r0ll

snipped-for-privacy@sdfhkjs.com wrote:

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

It's an automatic. Does not apear to have any indicators in the dash so I am guessing there is a light by the shifter. Any thoughts on how to replace this?

the

Reply to
sfjh