Bose Buzz fix cost $$ out of waranty

99 with the typical buzzing problem in speaker(s)

What is the likely cost to fix?

Reply to
squirrely

I have tthe same buzzing problem. Usually it buzzes in the morning and is fine in the afternoon. I just had the door panel off and the speaker looks fine. There is a rainshield but all was bone dry. Just in case, I added a Crutchfield baffle. worked fine till this morning. I am now back to the buzzing!. Is it the speaker or amp?

Myron

Reply to
Myron

Amp or speaker?

Not sure

My searches of Miata.net & this forum indicates that this is a common issue, and there is a common approach to fix - new speaker(S)

Asked dealer for typical quote - wouldn't answer. Said he thought Bose speakers had built in amps, so might be costly

Reply to
squirrely

Is this the sound like water behind the speaker cone? I just crank it up and it eventually goes away. I have a 90 minute drive, and the buzz normally goes away in about 20 minutes. I assumed it was dampness in the voice coils. It always happens after a good rain. I have a garage now, so I only have the problem on the way home from work after a rain.

My biggest problem was that I listen to NPR in the mornings. Nothing like cranking up NPR to wake you up.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You probably have one bad speaker (maybe two). The Bose replacements are about $175 each. Turn the balance control all the way to one side and listen. Try the other side. No point in replacing both if just one is buzzing.

The easiest solution is to fix what you have. If ever sell the car, having a Bose Audio System is a plus.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

The amplifiers almost never fail!

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

may be humidity, dampness related, sometimes does clear up - but mostly constant

never drive Miata 90 mins, so problem almost constant - gotta be a better way

bass or even mid range can be a problem

looks like may be out 175

Reply to
squirrely