Catalyctic Converter

How long should they last? Is it based on miles, age of vehicle, or a combo?

'91 Std

Reply to
Pat

Luck, apparently. They can fail anytime, though under 50k miles it's a warranty replacement. At 123k, I'm on my third cat; the OEM lasted 60k, its JR high-flow replacement managed 55k.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

What is an indication its gone and is it testable?

Reply to
Pat

In my case, the first failure had a buzz resonance, like a broken heatshield. The second failure had a nastier raspy resonance, with clanking when shaken.

Another failure mode is clogging.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have that too. I figured it was a heat shield somewhere, but I haven't had time to hunt it down. I'm also on my original cat, on my '93 with 104k miles

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

Yeah, that sounds about right. But first, eliminate other possibilities: gravel in heat shields, broken weld or crack in header or downpipe heatshield, etc.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Larry, excellent info. I believe my heat shield was removed by the service station where I had it checked a year ago. The downpipe sounds interesting.

Reply to
Pat

"tonyrama" wrote

I tried to track down a loose heatshield on my wife's '90 for months. Finally got so bad I pulled the cat and sure enough, loose bits and pieces made it sound like a baby's rattle when I shook it.

For Pat - this almost 14 year old cat had 97,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

My '90 with 134K miles is still sporting the original cat and has been subjected to the stringent annual testing demanded by the state of Texas.

Jerry Houston Texas '90B Red "Baby Car" Sees Rev Limiter Frequently....

interesting.

Reply to
Jerry

As I said, there's the luck factor. Some last longer than others, and I don't know of a thing you can do about it.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I strongly suspect it has to do with fuel selection, though I can't definitively tell you why. I *do* know that MMT-laden fuel is likely a cat-killer regardless of what Ethyl or SOPUS tells us.

That doesn't stop me from preferring MMT-based boosters in my JRSC-forced Miata.

Hah!

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers