cold idle and mpg

Most British cars even have a backup navigation system: when all the oil has leaked out, you can still follow the trail of parts that have fallen off.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've had multiple British cars dating back to the 1950's, all have been trouble free except for three problems on my last, a Jaguar XJS, but oddly enough, all three failures were stock General Motors parts! One Pontiac shifter cable, one GM AC fuse and one Oldsmobile oil pressure sending unit...

Reply to
XS11E

Either they were garage queens, or you lead a charmed life.

My first car, a Jaguar Mark IV, broke an axle easing gently away from a stop sign. It had only 50k miles on it. Due to the total lack of spares, I sold it another poor sap who had one in even worse shape. Now, of course, they're trophies for rich collectors.

My second car, an MGA, broke down on the way home from buying it. It developed a rod knock a few months later. I had the engine rebuilt, and the next year it broke a crank cruising at 60 mph. I couldn't begin to list the daily minor issues that made daily transportation a constant struggle. I rebuilt a junkyard engine and dumped the MG at 45k before it could break again.

Both of these cars were well maintained and not abused, but they just weren't suitable as daily drivers in this country. My third car was a Mustang, which was still running strong when I gave it to my brother at

80k.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Peter, Thanks that was a much needed laugh! My gosh, has anyone lasted thru that entire 'thread'? That was like watching a Monte Python movie, funny as hell but you can only take sooooo much!

Chris smoke-free99BBB

you guys piss me off, there is nothing wrong with the old brits which cant be repaired. for example

just how are you supposed to find your way home, before gps, if itwerent for the hansel and gretel oil trail....jeez

peter:)

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

snip; remember some the brit bike oil systems which were "designed" to be total loss systems? the rest just were :). still 89 % of all brit vehicles ever registered are still on the road...the rest made it home...

Peter is ON A ROLL here! Nice work!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

They also featured an early version of anti-lock brakes.

miker

Reply to
miker