Does anyone make an aftermarket airbag wheel ?

Just curious if anyone makes an aftermarket steering wheel that either HAS an airbag, or accepts a factory one ?

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Moss sells two:

?PlateIndexID6897

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Okay... let me refine that !

Does anyone make an Airbag capable wheel that LOOKS GOOD :p

At least better than the factory one! Man those Moss's are U G L E I Y (so Ugly I had to ugly up the word some more !)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Ah...no. The stock NB wheel is better, IMHO, but if you have an NA I don't think it will work.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Okay, I'm new to Miata...

What's "NA" and "NB" refer to ??

thanx|!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Chief_Wiggum wrote on 8/8/2004 20:42:

NA = models up to 1997. NB = models from 1999 on.

As for steering wheels with airbags, IL Motorsport in Germany offers some that I think are quite nice:

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise

Unfortunately, R-Speed does not have them. :( I guess there might be a problem shipping explosive devices. Does anyone know whether you can get them here?

Leon and Bozo, still sporting a breadbox.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, I ordered one from Germany. Will report back next week with the results.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I have the wheel, after some delay at customs. Looks really good:

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leon

The wheel does look good. Would you mind posting the link for where you ordered it from.

Thanks

Jitendra

Reply to
Jitendra

That is as far as I can get you. Click on MX5 NA (90-97) or NB (99-), then "Interieur", then "Lenkrader" (=steering wheels). You need both the wheel and an adapter. When looking at the wheels, be careful since the pictures are generic. In particular, remember that they all use the same airbag. For the 365 size (same as stock Miata), the corners of the "triangle" narrow down the most. Too much, if you ask me. On the other hand, the 320 is a bit "stubby" in my opinion. I got the 340 which is half an inch smaller in radius than the stock wheel, and I think I did right.

Prices are in Euros. Contact me and I will check my credit card how much that turned out to be in dollars for me.

In case of questions, I recommend using the "info" e-mail address, which will get you Ingo which I found to be very easy to work with. Even though he did admit he send me the wrong adapter kit. !?@#$%!

No commercial connection to IL Motorsports whatsoever, just an unsatisfied customer. :) Feel free to e-mail or call me if you need help with the German installation instructions. Contact information on my web site:

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks for info Leon.

I won't be buying it any time soon, but maybe sometime "down the road". I will however keep your reply/info for when I do eventually order it. So thanks again and please let us know how the install goes and what your final thoughts about the wheel are after you've installed it. Good Luck!

Jitendra

Reply to
Jitendra

Will do. Though it will probably be next weekend at the earliest. :(

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Yeah, that's a pretty good lookin wheel !

Does it use the STOCK airbag, or does it come wiht it's own ?

Let us know how it fits, etc. and (if you don't mind ) what the total cost was for the wheel / bag / adapter..

Thanks!

message

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Leon van Dommelen wrote on 8/26/2004 17:59:

If you click on the English flag, you get the site in English... "Interior", then "Steering".

Yeah, he is very responsive.

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise

It comes with it's own. I would not think there is anything you could do with the stock airbag, even if you wanted to play loose with beating explosives in a more shapely form. Bruce might be able to give us a clue about options in that area.

My credit card statement shows that the combined cost for wheel, adapter, and shipping from Germany was $615, the bill says E498 This of course depends on the relative weakness of the dollar, but isn't it great that we no longer have to worry that the weapons of mass destruction of Iraq will destroy us in

20 minutes? In addition, there was a $60 customs charge, but isn't it great that the US steel industry is protected from free trade? ;)

In any case, I plan to take pictures before and after and write a log. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That's not too bad a price, and you can probably recoupe $100.00 or so for your functioning original airbag if you'd like. Up until now, M1 owners have had a choice of either having an airbag-equipped steering wheel or a nice-looking steering wheel, but not both at the same time. Mazda should have made the M1/M2 steering wheels compatible and then sold the M2 wheel at a fairly reasonable price, they would have sold thousands of them to M1 owners. This is definitely the nicest-looking aftermarket steering wheel with airbag that I have seen for the M1.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Yes, I was always hoping someone would come up with an adaptation. Either it cannot be done or nobody wants to take on the danger of litigation.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen