bad cylinder :(

hi,

'95 m-ed w/ jr/sc and j&s ingition box and 92k miles.

while being a little spitied today and i lost power. got to a shop, removed the plugs, (bosch platium), and saw that they were distroyed, (ie the ceramic was shattered). ok, i guess i had a very lean condition as i had the plugs out a couple of days ago, (replacing the timing belt/water pump) and while used, they werent bad. put new plugs in and it still ran like dodo. get the compression gauge out and 4~160, 3~158,

2~163 1=0, (the one nearest the firewall that is). hmmm, maybe there is a problem here. figure i have to at least take off the head...so, since i am planning to start on this tomorrow, does the super charger need to be removed to get the head out or not? any hints on an easy removal? what might cause a valve failure, (this is what i am guessing it is)?

i have been tracking down a stumbling issue upon hard acceluration and the car will stall when the a/c is turned on at idle or slowing down for a lite or turn etc. could the j&s box be bad? how can i check it short of sending it out to j&s?

any constructive thought will be appreciated.

:( peter

Reply to
picaza

I suppose you could do this if the mixture was super lean. Plugs get pretty hot as it is; perhaps detonation was a factor, which might indicate a timing problem.

The #4 cylinder could have a chunk of ceramic holding a valve seat open. It would have to be a fairly big chunk, extending the valve pretty much all the way such that subsequent cam activity can't dislodge it. This should be easy to see without removing the head: rotate the engine and see if the valves in cylinder #4 are returning. If it is this and the seat isn't damaged, you might be able to free it without removing the head. If the chunk falls onto the piston head, perhaps you can fish it out somehow. If this works, a compression check of the cylinder should tell you if you are back in action.

Good luck.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

this sounds like ans easy check...i will try it tomorrow. thanks, peter

Reply to
picaza

I have no clue about the problem, but are you saying *all four* were scattered?

That seems very close. Can there have been a problem with the timing belt change causing problems a few days later? Say a tooth off or so?

Seems unlikely to me? If the J&S box was bad (like it was on mine due to bad contact), I would expect no ignition at all, or insane enough to prevent driving. Not just rough behavior under specific conditions.

I might still have mine if you want it, if I did not throw it out. But it would be a far better idea to replace it with a more modern solution if it is bad, IMHO.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Had the same happen ( with a Bosch Platinum ) in my old '87 Mazda 323 about

10 years ago. It just cost me a valve job... the chunk of porcelain had caught in the exhaust valve, and it sure didn't take long to burn the valve real good. I've stayed away from Bosch Platinum ever since.

lots of luck

Pete

Reply to
Pete Breemhaar

yes, all four

i wouldnt think so...one tooth off is pretty noticable, eh?

sure. leon...i could atleast try running the car with a differnt box to see if'n it behaves better, worse or the same. ping me off list at pm3e(AtSignGoesHere) juno (PeriodGoesHere) com i'm in ct. et tu leon?

what are the options, suggestions?

i'm off to do her rear brakes today...maybe take the valve cover off and look. at this point, would it be bad to drive her the 5 miles to get her home, (i have a 10% grade driveway 700ft long)? there is probably no problem leaving her at the garage but i figure she'll be there at least a couple of weeks and i dont want to wear out my welcome :).

thanks, peter

Reply to
picaza

I do not know how the messing around with the ECU that JR does and the timing belt being a tooth off interact with one another.

I do have a hard time believing you would destroy 4 plugs at the same time unless something is very wrong.

You are in luck. Like apparently any other further useless piece of hardware that came off, I kept it. Though I almost overlooked it; it seemed to be all electrical cable.

FL. E-mail me your address and I'll put it in the mail tomorrow. Remove REMOVE_THIS_TAG when replying. Despite what it says, the word Miata does not have to be in the subject. Need to change my sig.

I have repeatedly heard Bipes recommended, including R-Speed who have considerable JR experience. I got the Link ECU from Flying Miata instead, though. I do not know much about the other solutions, including one from JR itself. The power group on miata.net would be the place to ask.

Not much of a problem that I see. If a piece of ceramic does more, or the, engine damage on the way home, you can always tell yourself that it happened earlier, and you will not have to feel stupid.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Sorry, let me correct that. It is the dual monitor I kept, not the box without which the monitor is useless.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen