getting rid of faux wood on console and dash

Any advice on how to remove it without damaging the black plastic on a '97 miata? Should I heat it up first?

TIA

Reply to
thetick97

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

You might try a heat gun or hair drier and see if it will let you lift the stuff off, try it in a less conspicuous place first!

Reply to
XS11E

I second that. My ex-gf had that crap in her '96M. Good luck on geting it off without damaging the interior, but I would rip that junk out of there even if it left damage behind. That faux wood kit is about as tacky as they come, in my ever so humble opinion. I don't even like real wood parts in cars, I replaced my 1996M edition (real) wood shift handle and brake lever with black metal voodoo pieces within a month of owning the car.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Keep in mind, WD-40 is excellent at breaking down / cleaning most glues. I think I would try to spray some down in, back behind the wood pieces and let it soak for a day or two. The other thing is that you can probably sand out any minor damage to the black plastic. You might have to sand the entire surface to get it consistent but, you can take it all the way up to #800 or #1000 and even use plastic polish to get it looking good. I'm talking about the same stuff sold to clean / polish a plastic rear window on a convertible.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo